Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Access Laptop From Desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 apached

apached

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:54 AM

I am not having much success getting a Desktop to network with a Dell Inspiron 6000 Laptop computer. The desktop has XP Home and the Laptop OS is XP Prof. I am using the ethernet ports and have run Network Wizard on both computers assigning the same Workgroup and different names to each computer.
After a lot of trial and error and investigation on an earlier occasion, I found mentioned in a book that both computers need to have the Guest account turned on and have done this.
What I cannot understand is that without any change of settings if I switch the ethernet connection to another Laptop (Dell Inspiron 6400 running XP home) directories and files are accessible on both computers.
If I just link up the two Laptops, again files and directories are accessible.
But when connection is switched to the Desktop and Inspiron 6000 and they are restarted, without any change of settings, I get warnings saying no permission or path not found.
Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
apached

Edited by apached, 02 February 2008 - 04:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:57 AM

Access across a workgroup is governed by the permissions in the Guest account. If the Guest account cannot access the files that you're looking for, then you won't be able to see them on the network.

The easiest workaround for this is to make identical user accounts with identical passwords (DO NOT rename existing accounts) on each of the computers.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 apached

apached
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:36 PM

Thanks for the suggestion on User Accounts. Will give it a try.
JUst to clarify the earlier post: Computer A (Desktop) and Computer B (Inspiron 6400) can access each other fine.
When the ethernet cable is used to link Computer B and Computer C,(Inspiron 6000) also no problem.
Without any change of settings , when Computer A is connected to Computer C and they are restarted it results in path not found and no permission messages.
Computer C is running XP professional and had a wireless broadband card. Need to transfer downloaded files to Computer A
The only way I can do it at present is connect C and B and then connect B to A to get the files across

Very frustrating !!

!!

Edited by apached, 02 February 2008 - 04:36 PM.

#4 apached

apached
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:18 AM

After repeated attempts running Network Wizard with different settings and ensuring Windows Firewall Exceptions were active, I am ,happy to report that have finally managed to network the two computers. And the culprit.....Zone Alarm.
The error messages ...Not Accessible... No Permission... Path Not Found....Ask Administrator gave no clue. Since Zone Alarm runs in the background and only warns of programs trying to Access the Internet, it never occurred to me that it would block network access without any warning. For file transfer between Computers A and B, I was using a program called SynToy. Only when I did a Directory search using Windows Explorer and was refused access did I realise that SynToy was somehow bypassing Zone Alarm, This was the reason it appeared that Computers A & B were communicating , and computers B & C but not Computers A and C. ( Only Computer A has Zone Alarm installed !!
Hope that all makes sense and will serve as a warning to others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users