Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Imaging Os

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 EL MAJE

EL MAJE

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:01 AM

Hello,

I have two questions...one is, is there a tutorial on how to use ghost in Windons XP, I do have Ghost but I need a tutorial so I can practice to image the OS .
My second question is how can I go to DOS to use ghost from my PC I try to reset my pc but can't find the way to go to DOS

Thank you guys!!

:thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:43 AM

Hi, it depends on what version of ghost you have to get a tutorial. You dont need dos you need to know how to use sysprep.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457073.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577
MCP
MSDST

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:56 AM

Last time I used Ghost, it came with instructions on how to use it. Do you not have those?

Louis

#4 EL MAJE

EL MAJE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:31 PM

Hi, it depends on what version of ghost you have to get a tutorial. You dont need dos you need to know how to use sysprep.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb457073.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/302577

Hi Monty,
Well, I have Ghost v. 11...thank you for the links, I'll check them out, but I thought that I need it to go into to DOS in
order to copy an image with Ghost :thumbsup: ....I will read the links that you left me here and see if I can image my windows XPpro

:flowers:

#5 EL MAJE

EL MAJE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

Last time I used Ghost, it came with instructions on how to use it. Do you not have those?

Louis

I'm afraid not... :thumbsup:

#6 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:17 PM

Is your product also called Norton Save & Restore?
NSR is sometimes called Norton Ghost 11 because it's the next product released by Symantec that contains a copy of Ghost, following Norton Ghost 10.

Here's a user guide for Norton Ghost v10, in pdf format.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:40 PM

FWIW: http://ghost.radified.com/

Louis

#8 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:55 PM

Hi Monty,
Well, I have Ghost v. 11...thank you for the links, I'll check them out, but I thought that I need it to go into to DOS in
order to copy an image with Ghost :thumbsup: ....I will read the links that you left me here and see if I can image my windows XPpro

I have my lappy imaged on a small partition will all the drivers, office and all my programs I use so when I blow it away I just reimage it agian.

Mod Edit:To close BB code tags. ~TMacK

Edited by TMacK, 02 February 2008 - 06:12 PM.

MCP
MSDST

#9 EL MAJE

EL MAJE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 06:13 PM

Is your product also called Norton Save & Restore?
NSR is sometimes called Norton Ghost 11 because it's the next product released by Symantec that contains a copy of Ghost, following Norton Ghost 10.

Here's a user guide for Norton Ghost v10, in pdf format.

Hi TMack,

I'm not sure is this product is called Norton Save & Restore. Thank you for the Tutorial :thumbsup:

#10 EL MAJE

EL MAJE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 06:16 PM

FWIW: http://ghost.radified.com/

Louis

Thanks for the link Louis!! :thumbsup:

#11 EL MAJE

EL MAJE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 06:22 PM

Hi Monty,

I have my lappy imaged on a small partition will all the drivers, office and all my programs I use so when I blow it away I just reimage it agian.

Mod Edit:To close BB code tags. ~TMacK

Monty, I have a usb flash where I have Ghost and I would like to use it to save the XP Pro image there.
Thank you guys for all your help, I will start reading all the info before I start imaging XP pro.

#12 EL MAJE

EL MAJE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:19 PM

Ok Guys I'm back, :inlove:

I did try to image windows XP with no luck :thumbsup: ... I have a Norton Ghost v.11 software in my usb flash ...according the
instructions I need to start ghost from DOS..so I went to www.bootdisk.com download a bootdisk ..put it on a cd ...them went
to the pc that I wanna to image the OS and this is what I did..

insert the boot cd ..them I insert my usb flash (this is were I have Ghost) reboot the pc ..went into DOS ..now according to
the version of DOS it shows that is a DR-DOS 7.03 I don't know if this is the right version ..I thought it was MS-DOS version 5 since that's the one that I choose to download..anyways..my usb flash was on Drive F: so I went to Drive F: as soon as I type
ghost ..the command did not work Ghost didn't came out it gave an error ...Now I don't know if I have all the files from Ghots, because I got this software from work and I copie the software in al folder and save it to my usb flash. I don't know
if I copy the right folder and that's why is not working in DOS correctly..Or the bootdisk that I download is not the correct one..I'm confused now :trumpet: Help pleaseeee :flowers:

Thanks guys!!! :cool:

Ps; This is what I have under my Ghost folder..

Bootex.log
BOOTLOG.PRV
BOOTLOG.TXT
ghost83.exe
ghost.env
ghost.exe
GHOST.INI
GHOSTERR.TXT

Edited by EL MAJE, 03 February 2008 - 07:20 PM.

#13 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 11:24 PM

Hi, before you can image the OS you have to Sysprep it first, here is the link that will guide you through the process http://www.answersthatwork.com/
once there go to search> type in sysprep>and you will have 4 choices its the second one, then print it out.
MCP
MSDST

#14 EL MAJE

EL MAJE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 11:39 AM

Hi, before you can image the OS you have to Sysprep it first, here is the link that will guide you through the process http://www.answersthatwork.com/
once there go to search> type in sysprep>and you will have 4 choices its the second one, then print it out.

Thanks Monty!! :thumbsup: I'll try that!!!

#15 EL MAJE

EL MAJE
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 51 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 01:04 PM

Monty..or anybody else..before I do the SYSPREP I have a question..reading the instructions on how to do the SYSPREP
I notice that the instructions are for Corp. the PC that I have its my own system..it doesn't matter if it your own pc or a Corp. PC you still have to do the SYSPREP before you image it?? ......I'm sorry to ask so many question but I don't make any more
mistake.

Thank you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users