Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Computer & Power Surge?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 xmotleyx

xmotleyx

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:47 PM

First off let me note my PCs specs:

Asus P5k-e/wifi-ap (Bios 1002)
Intel q6600
2x1 gig ocz vista upgrade Ram
Zotac geforce 8600 gt zone edition
1x 500gig seagate (new boot drive)
1x 200gig western digital
1x 160gig western digital
LG International Wixx 500 Watt
Vista Ultimate 64bit

Okay, I have my system finally built and put together. However, something really strange is happening. I am sure that anyone who has had a BSOD appear in the past is aware of the noise that occurs before you see the screen. It is usually a click sound with a loud wind-up-and-release-type power surge/electrical type noise just before the screen appears. Well I am preiodically getting that noise in my newly built PC without any BSOD. My computer continues to function, seemingly, as normal. Occasionally I can here a kind of quiet electrical hum, without the click, here and there as well.

Any ideas what may be causing this? Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:13 AM

You might want to invest in a good UPS for bad power issues? Is the power grid stable in your area?

That 500 watt power supply seems too small or weak, your brands are strange, that video card is only listed in turkey?

I couldn't find anything on that power supply?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 xmotleyx

xmotleyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:08 AM

Funny, I found reviews about the video card on the net without any problem before buying it. Zotac is a fairly new company from Taiwan, but the card had great reviews. The power supply is likely not found because it is a domestic product here in Korea. I thought that it would be good considering it is LG. It came recommended.

Video card review: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2007/09/2..._zone_edition/1

Here is the specs of the psu. Sorry I know that it is in Korean, but you can clearly see the specs in one of the photos. http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/5655/93316630oy3.jpg

Thanks for the response...

I am worried about my 'puter

Edited by xmotleyx, 02 February 2008 - 11:30 AM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 11:36 AM

Have you looked inside the case to determine where this arcing noise is coming from? If you can isolate it this will be a lot easier to address. Did you use standoffs when you mounted you motherboard? Have you rechecked all of your power connections?

And welcome to BleepingComputer xmotleyx.

Edited by dc3, 02 February 2008 - 11:37 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:12 PM

the specs on the power supply seem fine, looks like a real good one?

definitely try to isolate where the sounds are coming from

leave the side off and turn off all the lights in the room? might help?

Edited by DaChew, 02 February 2008 - 12:13 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:56 PM

Got to ask. Did you use the brass stand-offs underneath the motherboard? Are you sure there's nothing underneath touching the board where it shouldn't be?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 xmotleyx

xmotleyx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:52 PM

I used the stand-offs and the case also came with a plastic short protection pad which I used between the mb and stand-offs.

It is difficult to notice where the noise is coming from because it is sporatic. By the time I realize that it is happening, it is too late. Actually, I think that the sound occurs mostly when the system has been idle for some time and then I use it. Or when I am using it and then do something more intensive.

I will double check that nothing is touching the mb. I rechecked all of my connections a few times.

Thanks for the welcome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users