Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Crashes/freezes When Downloading

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kerrikwong

kerrikwong

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:46 PM

I recently just got this computer, near the beginning of January.

Specs are:
Intel Core 2 Duo
ASUS P5KSE Motherboard
2GB RAM
eVGA 8500gt 256mb video card
Windows XP Professional with SP2

if more needed then just notify me.

The problem is that whenever I download using BT, or install games such as from www.ijji.com for example,
my computer starts freezing 20mins-1hour later.
But it doesn't permanently freeze.
It freezes for about 5 seconds, and then unfreezes, and then freezes for 5 seconds again, and unfreezes and it keeps doing that.
So I don't have a choice except to restart my computer in order it to run properly again.
When it starts freezing, my wireless internet connection disconnects and my music plays the same tone for 5 seconds also then goes back to normal.

I took this to the shop and there was no problem there, most of my downloads were almost completed so yeah, could anyone help me fix this?

Except today, while I was watching a movie on my computer, it did the freezing thing again, so I have no idea what's going on.

Edited by kerrikwong, 01 February 2008 - 08:51 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:43 AM

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Disable Auto Reboot On System Crash - http://www.theeldergeek.com/auto_reboot_on_system_crash.htm

I'd also check to see if the system is possibly overheating, as unlikely as it seems. This can be done by checking the CPU temperature reflected in the BIOS (usually in the PC Health section).

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 February 2008 - 09:49 AM.

#3 kerrikwong

kerrikwong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 08:50 PM

okayy, i tried checkng the eventviewer, and the stuff that has a warning sign is something called tcpip and dhcp and i have no idea what is wrong still.
and my cpu usage is only 1%-4% and my pc isnt hot at all, it's cold... but where do i check the exact temp rate?

i seriously am having trouble fixing this and i'd really like to start downloading . :thumbsup:

#4 Asantha de Silva

Asantha de Silva

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 07 February 2008 - 10:10 PM

It's obvious what your problem is.. You might have something running on the background that might be causing the computer from freezing..

-Click Start>>Run
-Type MSCONFIG>>OK

-Go to the SERVICES Tab
-Put a tick on "Hide all Microsoft Services"
-Untick all the services & Restart your PC

Test the machine now, see if the problem still persists, if its gone, you will know that its one of the services on that list thats causing the problem.

And after that all you have to do is basicly try and narrow down which service is causing the system to freeze, tick 3 at a time and test and so on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users