Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Sp3

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:39 PM

Hi..

I'm wondering if the instalation of SP3 will be a good thing to do. I've read it's still in a beta state, but it can be downloaded and installed. According to what I've read it will not bring very mayor changes, so maybe the fact of instaling it before MS makes it a must is not worth it.

Also I will like to ask the experts here the fact of instaling framework in my XP, I have never gotten those updates in my PC, and I'm wondering what I'm missing if I'm missing something. The reason is that last time I got those updates I started to ping more in servers. I'm a gamer and the primary thing my Gaming Rig does is that, so I came to the conclusion of not installing that in any of my PC's.

Thanks for the replies

Mav

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 david28

david28

Forum Member

• Banned
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:10 PM

Well, I just Googled Windows XP SP3 and Microsoft have released SP3, but they say it isn't required yet. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:25 PM

Hello,

SP3 is microsofts way of saying this far and no further, it is just a mass of hotfix releases and the odd adjustment. I wouldn't touch it until it has been finalised and the bugs have been removed.

Are you refering to .net framework?
Regards,

Alan.

#4 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:33 PM

Are you refering to .net framework?

Yes I am.

thanks for the replies

:thumbsup:

Mav

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:36 PM

I don't think that you are missing much, although you should keep your system up to date. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/829019 is a list of benefits of having the framework.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,865 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:25 PM

Re MS.Net...if you don't need to install it (any application needing it will advise you of such), I see no reason to install it.

As for SP3...I have it installed on this system, no problems (it is a beta). I know what to do if I start having problems. I don't suggest that most persons install the beta, even though I find it problem-free...they can either continue to do the daily updates or wait until the Ready-For-PrimeTime version is available at WinUpdate.

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:37 AM

XP SP3 beta isn't an issue - but most people who have installed it already have done so with a system that's already current with updates. The real test will come when folks with no updates since SP2 try to install it - that'll test it's abilities to cope!

From what I've read, as nigglesnush85 stated, it's just a collection of fixes and updates. It's not going to be as "invasive" as SP2 was, so the problems will likely be less severe.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 ^MavericK!

^MavericK!
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:24 PM

Thanks for the replies guys...

:thumbsup:

Mav

#9 nigglesnush85