Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nothing Left But My Desktop Background

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nasty

nasty

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:48 PM

I upgraded from IE6 to IE7 & after I rebooted, I had nothing on the screen but my desktop background, no icons or taskbars etc. I tried rebooting again but it was the same result. My buddy wonders if my copy of xp pro is not legit & I must admit it was given to me so I don't know for sure. I just assumed it was a legal copy.
Then I got thinking maybe someone else has had a similar problem & might shed some light on this.
Advice is welcome.

Paul

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:51 PM

Try to restart you computer in safe mode (continuously tap "F8" during the reboot) and see what happens, then post what happens.
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.” Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#3 nasty

nasty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:01 PM

I tried that & no difference. I can't help but think maybe microsoft put something in IE7 to prevent upgrading if your copy of xp is not legal.

Edited by nasty, 01 February 2008 - 05:03 PM.

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:07 PM

Whether or not it was legit wouldn't make a difference. For whatever reason, explorer.exe is not starting up. Try this once. Once you get booted and all you see is your desktop background, hit ctrl-alt-delete. The task manager should fire up. At the top, select file, then new task, and type in explorer.exe. If your explorer.exe file is not corrupted, then you should have your normal desktop, and we just need to recreate the startup link. If it does not start, then your explorer.exe is likely corrupt, and you will need to replace the file. Replacing the file is relatively painless. I'm not sure how to restore the startup link off the top of my head, but I think we can probably figure it out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users