Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Processes Worry Me

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ino

Ino

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:55 PM

I have a laptop which has little of it's memory used. But, my task manager says I have on occasions over 60+ processes running on my computer. My laptop has not got that much things on it to cause such a number.

I've tried and tried to find out which ones are not necessary, but appearantly, all relate to either Norton or some other necessary function.

What worries me is the fact some processes are in all captial letters, for e.g. CCPROXY.EXE, which I'm not sure is normal. I'm also wondering if the process 'ctfmon' should be registered as a system or user process.

I've used CCleaner and disk clean-up (Just some information on my apporach). I've been told my problem is not virus related.

Any help would be very appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:10 PM

Some processes are in caps and others are in lc; that alone does not mean anything, and is normal.

For ctfmon.exe, read here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/c...n.exe-1121.html

Hope this helps,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Ino

Ino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:34 PM

Thanks John. I really appreciate it

. I was a little worried by the capital letters. ^^ My mind is now at rest.

Regarding ctfmon.exe, the page says it is a system32 process, therefore the one in my task manager which is noted as being a 'user1' process is a virus? I've searched for 'ctfmon.exe' and found three entries

- C:\I386
- C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch
- C:\WINDOWS\system32

The reason why this is worrying me was originally, Spybot noted that this was spyware. When I removed it, it continually kept trying to activate itself back onto my starting programs.

Thanks for all the help ^^

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

Do you have Microsoft Office installed?
ctfmon.exe
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 Ino

Ino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:41 PM

(Sorry if this sounds incredibly nooby)

I have a tab on my 'All Programs' entitled 'Microsoft Office Tools', so yes, I presume it's on my laptop.

My concern is should be listed in the task manager as a user process or a system process?

Thanks for all the help.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,046 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:07 AM

If you are running Office programs, it will show up as a user process because you, the user, started the program.

The file locations you listed for ctfmon.exe are the proper locations. I386 is the windows back-up folder. This the folder the system will go to to repair or replace a corrupt or missing file when you run sfc/ scannow.

Prefetch is the folder where Windows creates a directory of files to make it quicker to load up the programs you use.

system32 houses a lot of files for computer and software operation.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Internet Security, NoScript Firefox ext.

animinionsmalltext.gif

#7 Ino

Ino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 03:23 PM

Thanks very much.

Sometimes I read that it's optional to delete the prefetch folder. Would you recommend this?

Also, I'm still not happy about how many processes are running. My laptop starts very slow now, and though I'm aware I can stop a lot of them from starting in the first place, almost all of them are apperantly necessary for a successful laptop. I'm pretty sure though there wasn't that many when I first got it.

Any program that could help?

#8 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 04:09 PM

Deleting Prefetch will slow your system down. It uses these files to "anticipate" what programs you are likely to execute as a result of your usage history. 60 is an awful lot of processes, my desktop typically runs about 30. I reccomend using a program like Taskmanager,
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb896653.aspx,
and right-click each process and google it to find out its function. You may have a bunch of add-ons that so many programs rudely install, such as toolbars ang junk like that. Then you can use Autoruns,
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx,
to turn off the unwanted programs.

Edited by RknRusty, 08 February 2008 - 04:11 PM.

#9 Ino

Ino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:41 AM

What can I expect to get from these programs? I'm pretty sure I downloaded the process explorer before, but was ensure on what it actually done.

I've reduced my process down to 43 following your advice RknRusty, by simply checking on an online process database what ones weren't important. I'm getting there :thumbsup:

#10 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:56 AM

if you have process explorer on your system, search for it and then open it. Then, under "View," check "Replace Task Manager." Then when you open task manager, Process explorer will open instead. It gives you more details and options, plus the ability to choose a process(service) and Google it. And Microsoft owns that company now.

43 sounds much better, how did you disable them? With Autoruns, you can enable or disable processes of your choice, just like with Start>Administrative Tools>Services (only better).

Does your system run better now?

#11 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 01:23 PM

Actually the Replace Task Manager is under Options.

#12 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:24 PM

Thanks for straightening us out on that.

#13 Ino

Ino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 07:52 PM

Right, I've got the installer set in, it's a very program.

Well, I've 'killed' the process to get rid of it, but I'm guessing that this isn't enough to stop it activating again?

Edited by Ino, 09 February 2008 - 07:53 PM.

#14 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 09:31 PM

Thanks very much.

Sometimes I read that it's optional to delete the prefetch folder. Would you recommend this?

Also, I'm still not happy about how many processes are running. My laptop starts very slow now, and though I'm aware I can stop a lot of them from starting in the first place, almost all of them are apperantly necessary for a successful laptop. I'm pretty sure though there wasn't that many when I first got it.

Any program that could help?

You do not want to delete the Prefetch folder. Some delete what's inside the folder not the folder, itself. They claim it speeds things up. Many do not
http://www.edbott.com
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#15 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 07:33 AM

You only need to delete the contents of the prefetch folder (not the folder itself) if you're experiencing problems related to the loading of programs. The folder will rebuild it's contents over a period of time if you do this.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users