Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Or Meltdown

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nicol1978

nicol1978

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:41 AM

Hi all,1st post and dont really know a great deal when it comes to these things.On computer at work so my be a few days b4 i can reply again as mine is down.Please Help!
My computer shut down on me last night without warning and when i restarted an error read ,reader_sl.dll.exe missing or corrupt.
It will now not let me into the net,open norten etc and comes up with internet explorer had to close please submit error report to microsoft blah blah.
I can however use windows media player.delete/move files.
I tried rebooting in safe mode and comes up with same error.
I use win xp

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:27 PM

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 nicol1978

nicol1978
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 04:45 AM

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?

Thnx for your reply. Yes tried system restore and tried to start in safe mode when i tried it has now came up windows root\system32\hal.dll missing or corrupt
I suspect that there may be a few files "missing or corrupt"
I just find it funny that it allows me into my desktop,move or delete files,watch w/media player surely it should not let me into my desktop. :thumbsup:

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 07:38 AM

The missing hal.dll error message usually occurs when the boot.ini becomes corrupted or when a user is attempting to dual boot a computer.

Langa Letter: XP's Little-Known 'Rebuild' Command - easy fix for "Missing HAL.DLL," "Invalid Boot.Ini," and several other fatal startup errors.
How Do I Repair A Missing Or Corrupt HAL.DLL
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users