Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Card Installation - Blank Screen?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 andy1985

andy1985

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:32 AM

Hi,

I am trying to install an Inno3D GeForce 8800 graphics card. When i connect the card into the PCIe slot and connect the power the computer will not start up, it turns on and all the fans run but nothing is shown on my monitor (the lead is connected).

I have a foxconn motherboard (http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000242). This motherboard has a built-in graphics card and the manual says that it will automatically select the PCIe slot if a separate graphics card is installed. I have looked in the BIOS and cannot find an option to turn off the onboard graphics.

any ideas??

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mar5hy

mar5hy

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

Hi,

I am trying to install an Inno3D GeForce 8800 graphics card. When i connect the card into the PCIe slot and connect the power the computer will not start up, it turns on and all the fans run but nothing is shown on my monitor (the lead is connected).

I have a foxconn motherboard (http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_overview.aspx?ID=en-us0000242). This motherboard has a built-in graphics card and the manual says that it will automatically select the PCIe slot if a separate graphics card is installed. I have looked in the BIOS and cannot find an option to turn off the onboard graphics.

any ideas??

thanks

Can you boot into safe mode? If so - boot in - & look in device Manager in my computer, is the device installed properly?
Brighton, UK

#3 andy1985

andy1985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:35 AM

I cant boot into safe mode - the monitor does not show anything

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,848 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:51 AM

Appears to me (I don't game) that the card is PCI-e 2.0, while the board is 1.0.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=P...+motherboard%3F

Louis

#5 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:52 AM

Did you try putting your old graphics card back in to see if that still works? If not, then there could be a problem with your monitor or your motherboard since you can't even see anything in safe mode.
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#6 andy1985

andy1985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:03 AM

The current graphics card is on board and everything works fine without the new card inserted.

#7 andy1985

andy1985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:21 AM

I thought that PCIe 2.0 cards are backwardly compatible with 1.0 slots, is this right?

#8 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:53 PM

I have read and heard about your particular motherboard chipset (VIA) having backwards compatibility issues with the Nvidia 8800 video cards. Also, PCIe 2.0 seems to backwards compatible with PCI 1.1 mobos but not PCI 1.0 the version that your mobo appears to be running...I would jump on the Nvidia forums and see if anyone can shed some more light... http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?act=idx
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#9 andy1985

andy1985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:08 PM

could it be the power supply, i have an antec case with 430W power supply - is that enough?

#10 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

Looks like you should be fine with the power supply, but it depends on what else you got sucking juice from the PSU...

http://www.inno3d.com/products/GRAPHIC_card/gf8/8800gts.htm

Thoughtvent.com

#11 andy1985

andy1985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:29 PM

not much i dont think.....250 gb HD, DVD r/w, a VFD Display, Quad core processor. Not too excessive to add a graphics card as well?

#12 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:45 PM

Is your graphics card an 8800 GT or 8800 GTX?

Thoughtvent.com

#13 andy1985

andy1985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:48 PM

8800 GT

#14 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:55 PM

Backwards Compatibility Issues regarding your VIA Chipset:

-(2nd to last post) http://forums.ebuyer.com/showthread.php?p=228233

-(last post) http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtop...mp;#entry291838

Thoughtvent.com

#15 andy1985

andy1985
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:22 PM

i think this is prob the thing thats going wrong....hmmm very annoying. Any ideas of a mATX intel motherboard that will work?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users