Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opinion On Nortons 2008 Virus Scan

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Suz52

Suz52

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:29 AM

I found these forums googling a alert I have been getting with this new version I installed a few weeks ago. I have an older pc just over 4 years old and never have done anything to it. It still works well, It is a custom gaming machine built by velocity micro and I paid a premium for it. This is the longest I have ever gone with out a reformat or some major tragedy since I got my first computer over 10 years ago. I have a lot of common sense type technical know how , I keep my scans up to date, I maintain my machine and so everything has been going along quite well. Till now and is it possible that this new version of Nortons has caused my machine to get wonky or is it just time.

The problems I have are really minor, my temps on my processor have gone up a bit to a whole 35 c while my video card is still 28 and ambient is 30. Of course my temp gauges could be wrong but I mostly watch them for drastic changes since those temps are on the lower average side. But I have been opening up the side which I know alot of people do when running high end video cards and all anyway. I have checked my fans and cleaned the case and still to keep it from going up to 42 at the highest I just leave the side open a bit. One changed since I installed this new version, the next one is I have never had the alert from Windows telling me my virtual memory is low but it has happened twice now and it seems to be when Nortons is asking me to do a reboot so I can get new updates.. I have auto what ever checked and in all the years I have used it I never had the update thing not work right. But it is not now, plus I am getting alerts all the time that I can't disable for MSRPC SvrSvc NetApi buffer overload (1) and MS Ans1 interger overflow tcp, I got them before right after install of other versions but there was an option that you could in essence tell it ok ok I know I don't wanna hear about it anymore. That is gone, I went on their live chat last night and the guy was telling me I could go to options, anti virus , real time protection then internet worm and then there was a place that you could stop monitoring for all sorta a alerts. The guy could not give me a clear explanation of what I might be doing, he said I could just not turn off the alerts... I was confused as to what I would be doing when I unchecked those boxes. Since their site lists those as high risks and do something about em type things. I am now in the process of email support with people with Indian names, same with the guy I talked to last night. If they can tell me not monitoring em will still give me protection from those bad things they warm me about instead of what the guy last night was telling me that they could be coming from legitimate sources as programs I am running or other pcs on my network ( I am the only one on a dail up connection, I know pity me)

They have all this stuff about optimizing your pc, which I see this has a start up data base that I am planning on using when I have the time to concentrate on something so touchy. But my question is could this new version cause a machine that was running just fine, as quick and responsive as the day I bought it with over 50 % hard drive space open, to wonk out. I already turned off their new community watch deal that was submitting things in the background while always running. Just seems funny that is the only thing different and it just doesn't seem to be as intuitive as the old version. But it might be time to buy a new machine since this one would cost me as much almost to upgrade cause of the major board and processor changes that happened in the last 4 years, it was a high end machine for its time. I worry this machine was a fluke in how great it has always worked and am scared even if I get another built it will not be as perfect.

Hope this was just not too verbose, and if this version just totally sucks what unbiased recommendation for a virus scan would you all suggest since all I hear from friends is that nortons is a resource hog again, I agree that it was till the last few years when it seemed to get better. I know I have way less problems than even most of my techie friends and lot would think I am just too picky but it is just I am noticing things that could get worse.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Tomo2

Tomo2

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:43 PM

Hi Suz52, :flowers: to BC!
Anyway I have to say, yes programs like Norton and McAffe seem to dominate your PC as a resource hog but aside from that why would a gaming PC be experiencing net buffer overflows? Strange but maybe there is something there... (BTW I'm on dial-up shared between two PCs AAARRHH!)

To see if the new Norton AV is your problem try uninstalling it and running some system maintenence. If it speeds up after that then you might as well use some other AV program. A good pay for AV is Eset Nod32, or a free one like Avast! Antivirus or AVG.

Anywho I'll be wondering why you get those messages while I make my lunch so I'll probably come back with some food based explanation :thumbsup:

Hope that helps!

L&P, World Famous in New Zealand since ages ago!
Posted Image
Avast! Antivirus : Spybot S&D : Trend Micro Housecall : Hosts file : HiJack This
Don't be too open minded - your brains will fall out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users