Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ftp Is Not Working Anymore

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 KeithH

KeithH

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:44 AM

I can no longer upload files to my website from Dreamweaver so I downloaded FTP Navigator and that fails as well (with a timeout and Winsock error 10060)
I am convinced something is wrong with my PC when I see all the disk activity when I am online but not doing anything but Spybot and Kasbpersky both say no problems. Can anyone help me to restore my ability to FTP please

Dell Dimensioon L800r
W2000 v5 build 2195 Service Pack 4

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:13 AM

If you run ftp from the command line, are you able to connect to the server? From the command line, type ftp www.foo.com where foo is the name of the server. See if you get any error mesages.

#3 KeithH

KeithH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:35 PM

Hi Groovicus,

Thanks for coming back.

I tried that and all I got was: ftp : connect : Connection timed out
however, when I tried to close the command window it came up with Windows cannot close this operation. It needs more time .... Was that simply because I didn't type close or exit or something

(I am on Tesco net and the server name is homepages.tesco.net)

Regards

Keith

#4 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:48 PM

The problem is possibly at their end. I get a timeout also, which leads me to believe that they may have changed the FTP address or something. You will have to check with them and see if they did anything. Have you tried using IE:
http://www.tesco.net/help_section/default.asp?page=webspace

#5 KeithH

KeithH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:25 PM

Hi, I tried that but still got a timeout when it got to the point of trying to transfer. I had already emailed TescoNet support and asked if they had changed anything over the weekend and they said no but with you getting a timeout as well - I have asked the same question in a different way

I don't hold out too much hope but will let you know what they come back with

Keith

#6 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:31 PM

Are you able to successfully connect using IE then? That would be a different problem. The other thing I was thinking was that perhaps the password got changed somehow? A verification error could possibly throw a timeout also. Perhaps someone took over your account and changed the password.They might be able to look at their logs (if you provide them with your IP and the time that you attempted to connect) and find the reason why you can't connect. Maybe your ISP did something that is blocking your FTP. The thing to do would be to see if you can get in from another computer. Not even transfer files, just see if you can get connected. If you can connect, then the problem is on their end. If not, it is somewhere else.

#7 KeithH

KeithH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:45 PM

Boy oh boy do I feel t'd off.

After emailing me saying no problems and their online service status report saying the same I have spent in excess of 15hours trying to work out why I couldn't FTP. It was only when you got a timeout as well that I decided to ask the question again and guess what

They are having problems with FTP !?!

Thanks for your poiters

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:54 PM

You are quite welcome, although I didn't really do much. :thumbsup: I can't count how many times that I have been told by service providers that there is no problem on their end, only to have them backtrack when presented with proof that it is on their end. My guess is that they probably did an update that hosed it.

#9 KeithH

KeithH
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:38 AM

I wonder if I could get you to give some thought to another problem that came up as a result of trying to solve the FTP issue. I ran Belarc Advisor and it told me that for a period, automatic Windows updates were not happening.
Between then and now I installed Service Pack 4 and then the roll-out to the current situation. When I try to install any of the missing updates (63 of them) It tells me I cannot because they will only work at Service Pack 2 level

Are they as crucial as Belarc makes out or by upgrading to SP4 have I superceded the need

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:14 AM

SP4 should be inclusive of all patches/updates/ etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users