Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Install Java---and Other Seemingly Related Issues

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 up-country_sinclair

up-country_sinclair

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:39 AM

Hi,
sorry for the lame Topic Title, but I really couldn't think of anything else to put, and to my eyes it all somehow seems related to the Java installation....but I won't be totally surprised if it isn't.

Yesterday, I suddenly lost my internet connection and couldn't reconnect. I called my ISP and they assured me that it wasn't on their end. I looked at my firewall, and it indicated that there wasn't any traffic coming in or going out...but the lights on my modem indicated that I was connected. I used the help function in XP and followed the suggestion to enable something (I forget now) in the device manager...and it worked. I'm back online. However, I've still got some problems.

1. I was in the process of installing Java 6 update 4 when this all started happening. I was deleting the older versions of Java...and now I can't install the new one. When I click on the the .exe file I downloaded, nothing happens...it's as if I didn't click on it all. I've also tried to open it using "run as", but I get this message:
Installer: Wrapper.CreateFile failed with error 5: Access is denied.
Also before I deleted the previous version of Java, I went to the Java site and when I clicked on "Verify that I have Java", Firefox shut down.

2. I was using Internet Explorer at the time of the disconnect, and now the browser is inoperable.... it won't open up any web pages. However, Firefox is working fine...albeit somewhat slowly.

3. Something has tried to change my homepage in Firefox at least twice today. First it was to "About:" and then later it was to www.yahoo.com/. My homepage now is www.yahoo.com without the the "/". I was notified of these attempts by spybot and WinPatrol.

4. I am repeatedly getting pop ups asking me if I want to connect to the internet with a dial up connection...even though I'm already connected via broadband. The broadband connection is the default connection.

5. I can't download podcasts via itunes. When I click on "update" of a specific podcast or simply the 'refresh' button, nothing happens.

I feel I should also note the following as they may or may not be related to my problem:

A. I recently connected an external hard drive to this computer after not connecting it for nearly a month.

B. i cannot uninstall (after repeated attempts) another program that I downloaded months ago called HomeMeeting. JoinNet 4.4.0.

C. the computer is most definitely running slower. I downloaded and ran CCleaner, but it hasn't made a noticeable difference. I've also run AV and checked for malware but nothing came up. However, NOD 32 turned up a lot of locked files that it couldn't open.

D. I've been getting an email from microsoft (presumably) which says I sent them an email asking to change my windows password....which I never did. Here's the first paragraph of the email...

We received your request to reset your Windows Live password. To confirm your request and reset your password, follow the instructions below. Confirming your request helps prevent unauthorized access to your account.

^ This in particular seems very suspicious to me.

E. I recently downloaded and installed a program called snoopfree. I have since uninstalled it for fear that it was somehow related to the problem.

F. The yahoo "sign in shield" i selected no longer appears...but this could be because I ran CCleaner and it deleted the info i submitted.

I'm running:

AV: NOD 32
FW: Sygate

For Malware I use:
Spyware Doctor
Adaware
Spybot--including Tea Timer
WinPatrol

I really want to thank you for taking the time to look into this, and please let me know if I should include any other information that I have omitted.

Edited by up-country_sinclair, 01 February 2008 - 04:16 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:35 PM

Have your tried running your scans in "Safe Mode"?

Have you tried using System Restore or System Restore from a command prompt in Safe Mode to return to a previous state before your problems began?

If that does not work or resolve the problem, continue as follows:

Most Internet connectivity problems arise out of corrupt Winsock settings due to the installation of a networking software or Malware infestation. Check with your ISP provider first and if they insist that your connection is coming through, the problem must be at your end.

If your using Windows XP SP2, log on as an administrator.
Go to Start > Run and type: cmd
Press OK or Hit Enter. A dos Window will appear.
At the command prompt, type or copy/paste: netsh winsock reset
Hit Enter.
When the program is finished, you will receive the message: "Successfully reset the Winsock Catalog. You must restart the machine in order to complete the reset."
Close the command box and reboot your computer.

Go to Start > Run > type: cmd
Press OK or Hit Enter.
At the command prompt, type or copy/paste: ipconfig /flushdns
Hit Enter.
Close the command box.

Configure TCP/IP to use DNS. Go to Start > Control Panel, and choose Network Connections.
Right click on your default connection, usually Local Area Connection or Dial-up Connection if you are using Dial-up, and and choose Properties.
Double-click on the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) item.
Select the radio button that says "Obtain DNS servers automatically".
Click OK twice to get out of the properties screen and restart your computer.

CAUTION: It is possible that your Internet Service Provider requires specific settings here. Make sure you know if you need specific DNS settings here or not before you make these changes or you may lose your internet connection. If you are sure you do not need a specific DNS address, you may proceed.

If you continue to have connectivity problems, download WinSockFix from another computer, save to a usb stick, and transfer it to your computer.
Be sure to print out and follow the instructions for using this tool provided in the Winsock Repair Tutorial.

How to tell whether a Microsoft security-related e-mail message is genuine
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 up-country_sinclair

up-country_sinclair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 01:53 AM

Hi quietman7,

I did the system restore in safe mode as you suggested, and it seems to have done the trick. :thumbsup:

All of my connectivity issues seem to have been resolved and the most recent update of Java has been installed.

Thank you very much for sharing your time and experience.

UCS

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:08 PM

Now you should Create a New Restore Point to enable your computer to "roll-back" to a clean working state.

The easiest and safest way to do this is:
  • Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools and click "System Restore".
  • Choose the radio button marked "Create a Restore Point" on the first screen then click "Next". Give the R.P. a name, then click "Create". The new point will be stamped with the current date and time. Keep a log of this so you can find it easily should you need to use System Restore.
  • Then use Disk Cleanup to remove all but the most recently created Restore Point.
  • Go to Start > Run and type: Cleanmgr
  • Click "Ok".
  • Click the "More Options" Tab.
  • Click "Clean Up" in the System Restore section to remove all previous restore points except the newly created one.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users