sorry for the lame Topic Title, but I really couldn't think of anything else to put, and to my eyes it all somehow seems related to the Java installation....but I won't be totally surprised if it isn't.
Yesterday, I suddenly lost my internet connection and couldn't reconnect. I called my ISP and they assured me that it wasn't on their end. I looked at my firewall, and it indicated that there wasn't any traffic coming in or going out...but the lights on my modem indicated that I was connected. I used the help function in XP and followed the suggestion to enable something (I forget now) in the device manager...and it worked. I'm back online. However, I've still got some problems.
1. I was in the process of installing Java 6 update 4 when this all started happening. I was deleting the older versions of Java...and now I can't install the new one. When I click on the the .exe file I downloaded, nothing happens...it's as if I didn't click on it all. I've also tried to open it using "run as", but I get this message:
Installer: Wrapper.CreateFile failed with error 5: Access is denied.
Also before I deleted the previous version of Java, I went to the Java site and when I clicked on "Verify that I have Java", Firefox shut down.
2. I was using Internet Explorer at the time of the disconnect, and now the browser is inoperable.... it won't open up any web pages. However, Firefox is working fine...albeit somewhat slowly.
3. Something has tried to change my homepage in Firefox at least twice today. First it was to "About:" and then later it was to www.yahoo.com/. My homepage now is www.yahoo.com without the the "/". I was notified of these attempts by spybot and WinPatrol.
4. I am repeatedly getting pop ups asking me if I want to connect to the internet with a dial up connection...even though I'm already connected via broadband. The broadband connection is the default connection.
5. I can't download podcasts via itunes. When I click on "update" of a specific podcast or simply the 'refresh' button, nothing happens.
I feel I should also note the following as they may or may not be related to my problem:
A. I recently connected an external hard drive to this computer after not connecting it for nearly a month.
B. i cannot uninstall (after repeated attempts) another program that I downloaded months ago called HomeMeeting. JoinNet 4.4.0.
C. the computer is most definitely running slower. I downloaded and ran CCleaner, but it hasn't made a noticeable difference. I've also run AV and checked for malware but nothing came up. However, NOD 32 turned up a lot of locked files that it couldn't open.
D. I've been getting an email from microsoft (presumably) which says I sent them an email asking to change my windows password....which I never did. Here's the first paragraph of the email...
^ This in particular seems very suspicious to me.
We received your request to reset your Windows Live password. To confirm your request and reset your password, follow the instructions below. Confirming your request helps prevent unauthorized access to your account.
E. I recently downloaded and installed a program called snoopfree. I have since uninstalled it for fear that it was somehow related to the problem.
F. The yahoo "sign in shield" i selected no longer appears...but this could be because I ran CCleaner and it deleted the info i submitted.
OS: XP pro SP2
AV: NOD 32
For Malware I use:
Spybot--including Tea Timer
I really want to thank you for taking the time to look into this, and please let me know if I should include any other information that I have omitted.
Edited by up-country_sinclair, 01 February 2008 - 04:16 AM.