Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Installshield Engine (ikernel.exe) Could Not Be Launched. Rpc Server Is Unavailable.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 troms

troms

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:35 PM

Hello,

My computer recently wouldn't boot up and after I copied some files and deleted others, it was able to again. Although now it looks as if I installed Windows XP for the first time. My applications won't work, not internet access, etc.

My main concern is that I can't install anything. When I try, I receive an error that reads, "The InstallShield Engine (ikernel.exe) could not be launched. The RPC Server is unavailable." I've tried numerous remedies from online sources (obviously using another computer), but nothing seems to work. Can someone please help me when they get a chance.

By the way, I don't have a Windows XP CD. If I need certain files from it, they'll have to be emailed to me if possible.

Thanks,
Damian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:27 AM

I think that you need to think about getting an XP CD or recovery CDs, whichever is applicable.

Computers seldom run forever without any problems requiring reinstall or repair.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...15082448AAfofdT

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 01 February 2008 - 09:29 AM.

#3 nunyabid

nunyabid

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:04 AM

Great point, and also yet one more reason NOT to get a computer except a custom built, opr at least a Dell. HP, Compaq, etc., do NOT ship OS and Software disks with the PC. And a Restore Partition on a dead HD is useless.

Fight the Power!

#4 troms

troms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:54 PM

Thanks Louis, but I've already tried that info given on that link you sent me. The PC is a Dell that I bought back in '99. I had very little problems with it except one virus issue that was my fault.

The PC had Windows 2000 installed originally and then my cousin installed XP about 4 years ago using his school account. However, I was able to activate the XP account with Microsoft after it booted up as if were the first time I installed it.

Again, my issue is that I cannot install software because of that error above. Do you know where I can get the files off the XP CD necessary to resolve this issue...or recovery CD's?

Thanks

#5 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:32 PM

Hello,

Have you tried restarting the service?
Go to start->run->services.msc
Look for the rpc entries and make sure they are all started.
Regards,

Alan.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:36 PM

http://www.dirtcheapsoftware.com/micwinxphome2.html

According to what you say...you've enjoyed this O/S for 4 years now, without being legal. Maybe it's time to get legit.

Louis

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:05 PM

My cousin installed XP about 4 years ago using his school account. However, I was able to activate the XP account with Microsoft after it booted up as if were the first time I installed it.

I'm going to assume this is a legit although somewhat questionable purchased copy and offer you this much
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 johndoe32102002

johndoe32102002

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:16 PM

Hello,

Have you tried restarting the service?
Go to start->run->services.msc
Look for the rpc entries and make sure they are all started.

You can restart the DCOM* service and this fixes the problem.

Steps:
1. Right click "My Computer" on the Desktop
2. Manage
3. Services (near the bottom)
4. Right click DCOM* and "Start"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users