Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Fan Is Dieing Can I Just Unplug It And Not Use It?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:23 PM

Hi, My fan is dieing and it squeeks and makes loud sounds.
Can I just inplug it from he power and not use it?

This fan is on the motherboard I dont know what its doing anyways I bought a motherboard for a friend and it didnt have a fan like this...
Heres an image of the motherboard

Posted Image

Its the fan in the middle, Can I just unplug it?

Just for info. I have one large Fan pulling in air from the front. One pushing out the side for the CPU and one pulling out the back of the case. If that helps in addition to this bad one thats making loud noises

Edited by PoweredByGoogle, 01 February 2008 - 02:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:25 PM

i'm 98% sure that's cooling the north bridge.....as long as you are not overclocked, you should be alright to unplug but to make sure i would either google "north bridge fan" or wait for a second opinion from some else on here...if it were me, i would unplug it in case you wanted to know my thoughts

#3 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:48 AM

ok thanks, I want to get a few people to tell that to me also hahaha, just to make sure dont want to over heat it and mess every thing up

#4 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:09 AM

IMHO, don't unplug it. It's the fan that's helping to cool the heat sink (that silver metal grill-like thing) over the Chipset. My CPU is sitting at 49C/121F right now, and I booted up less than 5 min ago. (I'm running a bit warm because my computer is in a hot room, so I have a monitor in my systray to watch it.)

But my point is, if you turn that fan off you could burn up your Chipset in minutes, if not seconds. I know you said you've got other fans, but it seems to me they are just cooling the surface air in the case, which will help. But I don't think they will do much to draw the actual heat away from the chipset like the heat sink does. (Think of it like a sponge absorbing water.)

I replaced my heat sink about a year ago. My old one got noisy as you describe, so the fan motor in yours is probably failing. Or it might just need oiling, which can be done. But heat sinks don't cost that much. You'd be better off getting a new one.

When I went to a computer shop to replace the noisy old fan, they told me that they had the fans for sale separately for a few bucks, but they'd been scavenged from other units. So I opted to replace the whole thing and upgraded to about twice what my system required.

Others can give you the more technical jargon about why this is important, but I think I'm correct in my opinion.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:33 AM

If you only see one fan...mounted on that board...rest assured that it's for the heatsink/CPU.

If you read at all on such, you will find that they are essential.

It's your system, you can do anything with it.

Louis

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:15 AM

If the fan is disabled, and there is no method to shut the motherboard down if it overheats, then you could damage the board beyone repair by removing it.

The fans are a lot cheaper than a motherboard - just look for the same size and the same plug for it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:48 PM

Look at it this way. The design engineers put it there for a reason. Why risk it?
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,104 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 05:59 PM

Agreed with all of the above. If you didn't need it, it wouldn't be there.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#9 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:15 AM

Agreed with all of the above. If you didn't need it, it wouldn't be there.

ha ha ha..i'm laughin my but off right now...not because i disagree in anyway (although if it were my board and i could monitor temps i'd unplug it) but i just thought about what you said and then i thought about some youtube vids i was looking at last night with people having like 20 fans and watercooling and stuff like that...ba ha ha ha.....now THAT is what you DON'T need!

#10 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:40 AM

If it is squeaking it won't last very much longer. Those small high-RPM fans on motherboards generally don't last very long. When the fan on my motherboard went south I replaced with just a heatsink. You can usually find a northbridge heatsinks for under $10.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#11 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

how do I know yo get the right size and every thing?
I want to get one from newegg.com

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 08:01 PM

Well...I think you need to decide if you're just getting a fan or a fan/heatsink.

In any case, fans/heatsinks are made to fit certain processors and fans will be denoted as "CPU fans" if they are for that function.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....p;name=MASSCOOL

Louis

#13 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:10 PM

how do I know yo get the right size and every thing?
I want to get one from newegg.com

Chipset fans
http://www.newegg.com/
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#14 RLI

RLI

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:23 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 03:13 PM

you need that fan to keep the northbridge cool, they can get extremely hot if not cooled. you need to shut down the pc before you destroy the mobo, and get a replacement chipset HSF immediately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users