Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disable Uac Dialogs Without Actually Disabling Uac

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Armorthane

Armorthane

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:11 PM

For those of you that have disabled Vista's UAC so you don't have to respond to its dialog boxes but would like to keep it running for what protection it does provide (debatable :huh: ) or at least want your Administrator account free of its dialog boxes, use the below link.

Windows Secrets Newsletter Article about UAC

There you will find instructions on how to do this. :huh:

Making such a change could be risky so use it at your own risk for those of you who choose to follow the articles directions.

Use anti-spyware/malware software regardless along with your anti-virus software to help protect yourself.

Edited by Armorthane, 31 January 2008 - 07:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:37 PM

My interpretation of the Langa Newsletter article that you've cited is that it WILL disable UAC for the Administrator accounts. There will be no UAC protection available for those accounts - so if malware exploits them, you won't know about it. The standard user accounts will still have the elevation prompt (so will be, in effect, protected by UAC).

The normal account in Vista functions as a Standard User until it's called upon to do something that requires Administrator credentials.
If it's a Standard User account, then it asks for Adminstrator credentials (username and password) in order to perform the action.
If it's an Administrator account, then it simply asks for permission (without the need to enter credentials) in order to perform the action.

Without UAC, this elevation will be automatic. If malware exploits it, it will install and you won't know about it. Yes, UAC is a PITA - but getting infected is more of a PITA. Even if it only stops one type of malware - wouldn't it be worth it?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users