Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Build Me A Computer

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:06 PM

OK so I am going to get a computer from ibuypower.com, my budget is 1300$ out the door (includes shipping tax etc). So since I have not been in the computer world for years I was wondering if you guys can go to :
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/c...r.aspx?mid=119 for dual core configurator
or
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/c...r.aspx?mid=224 for the quad core configurator
And respond to me the best combination of hardware I could buy for 1300$ (copy paste the specs at the end)
Thanks
EDIT: I DO NOT NEED A MONITOR OR SPEAKERS ONLY THE COMPUTER HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE!

Edited by ShinAkuma, 31 January 2008 - 07:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:14 PM

Your links are dead
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:31 AM

http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=119 Duo core
http://www.ibuypower.com/ibp/store/configurator.aspx?mid=224 quad core
sorry i dont know how the links got messed up..but these are correct
and as far as needs....I use the computer for general online browsing and some gaming

Edited by ShinAkuma, 01 February 2008 - 01:33 AM.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:17 AM

I'd suggest going with the dual core E6750, or if you want to spend almost a hundred dollars more go with the quad core Q6600. I'd think you might be better of just get the dual core E6750 though, but having a quad core can be nice, and more futureproof.

You should get at least 2gb of ram, especially if you're going to run vista.

If you just do light gaming, but you want to play newer games I'd suggest going with the ATI Radeon 3850 graphics card. If you are going to be playing mostly older games you could get something less.

Get the 500Watt power supply, because the standard one might not be able to supply enough juice to all your components. 500Watt should be plenty though.

For motherboard, you probably won't want SLI or Crossfire (2 or more graphics cards), so I wouldn't waste the money on getting a motherboard that supports it. They don't have many selections on that site for motherboards, I'd suggest just going with the Asus 650i (default selection under quad core), even though it does have two pciex16 slots (graphics card slots).

For hard drive and optical drives, you could just pick out how much storage you need, and what features you want out of your optical drive.

Onboard audio should be enough for most peoples needs. Unless your a big sound freak, getting a sound card is kind of a waste.

Edited by Sterling14, 01 February 2008 - 07:18 AM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:51 PM

Ok, I think I'm going to get the quad-core because like you said it's more future proof. I only upgrade or buy my computers every 4-5 yrs, as far as graphics goes I was thinking about getting the Geforce 8800GT 512MB. Do you recommend this or would you still suggest the radeon? About the CPU cooling, is it ok just to get the standard heatsink and fans? or should i invest in getting the upgraded cooling fan systems. I do not overclock

#6 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 04:54 PM

The fan and heatsink that comes with the retail box should serve you well
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:32 PM

Oh ya definitely get an 8800GT 512mb over a 3850. I though you didn't want anything that special because you said light gaming, my mistake haha. I chose the 3850 because for the money it has the best performance, but the 8800GT 512mb is considerably better then it so go with it. My friend has one and it plays all his games (mostly newer) on all high settings, at a good resolution.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:34 PM

quad core and 8800GT

better have something a little beefier than a no-name 500 watt power supply

and some gaming

might mean crysis and cod4 just every now and then

Edited by DaChew, 01 February 2008 - 07:36 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:41 PM

Nah the games I play are counter-strike source, maybe some battlefield, and a little warcraft 3.... all fairly old games. However I still want something with a little power so that I can play new games as they come out and I decide I like them. It all about options. So the 8800 GT at 512mb would be better then say if I got two 8600 GT's at 512mb each ?

Edit: I have it narrowed down to THIS exact setup, please let me know if I should change something (this is already 100$ over budget)

Case ( [$15 OFF Mail-In Rebate] NZXT Trinity ATX Mid-Tower Case w/400W Power Supply Black )
Power Supply ( 600 Watt -- Power Supply SLI Ready )
Processor ( [=== Quad Core ===] Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (4x 2.4GHz/8MB L2 Cache/1066FSB) )
Processor Cooling ( [=== Silent ===] Extreme-Performance INTEL CPU Cooling Fan System Kit Silent & Overclocking Proof = Maximum cooling efficiency for quietness and performance )
Motherboard ( Asus P5N-E SLI nForce® 650i SLI Chipset w/6-channel CODEC, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394 Dual PCI-E MB )
Memory ( 2048MB [1024MB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module Corsair XMS2 Xtreme w/Heat Spreader )
Video Card ( NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB w/DVI + TV Out Video )
Video Card Brand ( Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA )
Hard Drive ( 320 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache] )
CD/DVD Drive ( [** Special !!! ***] 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive Black )
Sound Card ( 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard )
Speaker System ( 600W PMPO 3 PCS Super Bass Subwoofer Speaker System )
Network Card ( Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100) )
Keyboard ( Microsoft Internet Keyboard Black )
Mouse ( Logitech Optical Internet Mouse Black )
USB 2.0 Accessories ( Build-in USB 2.0 Ports )
Flash Media Reader/Writer ( 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer Black )
Operation System ( Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic + [Free 60-Day !!!] Microsoft Office 2007(Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Access ....) 32-Bit )
Warranty ( Warranty Service Standard 3-Year Limited Warranty + Lifetime Technical Support )
Rush Service ( Rush Service Fee (not shipping fee) No Rush, Ship Out in 5~10 Business Days )

Edited by ShinAkuma, 02 February 2008 - 03:52 AM.

#10 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:37 AM

Sounds good! Hope you enjoy it!

#11 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

thanks I posted at 4 different forums and this was the only one that actually responded...

one last thing I found the same ram I am going to get at newegg for 100$ (2 xms2 corsair 1 gigs) is it possible to have a total of 4 gigs in this manner, (4 individual 1gb sticks in 4 slots of the computer) ? if so do you recommend getting 4gbs at that price?

Edited by ShinAkuma, 02 February 2008 - 01:37 PM.

#12 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:36 PM

That sounds like a good deal. I looked up your motherboard on Newegg and it can have up to 8gb of ram. One thing is thats kind of funny though, is I looked it up on Newegg for you and the first review was how that same ram didn't work with the motherboard. Then again, the motherboard I have had so many poor reviews, but I took my chances and it worked out great. I wouldn't always believe the reviews. To be on the safe side though, maybe you should get a different kind. I remember buying my 800mhz ram for only 25$ per gb and it wasn't on sale. I think the problem is the higher voltages on some of the higher quality ram. Can you send a link to the ram that you're looking at just so we can be sure?

#13 ShinAkuma

ShinAkuma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:27 PM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820145034 Here is the link to the ram I believe its the same ones I am getting in the ibuypower.com deal

#14 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:55 PM

Ya that should work.

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:50 AM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820227252

or 2 of these kits

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820146565

if your motherboard won't supply 2.1 volts get one that will
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users