Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Combine 2 Hdds Into 1

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 deanpcmad

deanpcmad

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:08 PM

Hey,

I was wondering how to combine 2 HDDs into 1 as I have 2 80Gb HDDs and I want it to appear as 1.
I am using Windows XP Home

Thanks
deanpcmad

deanpcmad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:00 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:29 PM

Just out of curiosity...just why would you want to do this?

With two drives, you can backup the system to one. With just one drive, you need a different plan.

Or is backing up not a part of your approach?

In any case, a RAID setup will allow what you describe in your few words.

Basics of RAID - http://ezinearticles.com/?Basics-of-RAID&id=11919

Louis

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

I believe what you are referring to is a RAID array
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID
http://www.pctechguide.com/tutorials/RAID.htm
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

Depending on the specs of the hard drives, and the support that your system provides for RAID, this may be fairly easy to do.

But then you'll have to decide on what RAID level you want to use. If you use both in a striped array - the failure of one drive will result in the loss of data on both drives. If you use both in a mirrored array - if one drive dies, the other has everything duplicated on it. If you use JBOD to make it into just one drive - check out Concatenation in this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID...JBOD_or_SPAN.29

Or, you can just put a shortcut to the second drive on the first drive - that way you can dump stuff where you need it without having to go through the hassle.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:30 PM

Thanks all of you for the replys.

I am going to create a Backup Server, which I am going to backup 4 PCs (2 laptops and 2 standard PCs) onto.
I have 2 80Gb HDDS that I want to turn into one 160Gb drive so I dont have different backups on differnet drives.
I don't want to go down the RAID route yet, but if I really have to then I will.

Also, I am thinking of getting new Drives. Which would be best SATA or PATA (aka IDE).

If you want to know how much storage I am going to backup then I am happy to let you know.

Thanks

deanpcmad

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:56 PM

SATA drives would be faster, PATA drives are useable but I see no advantage in using them if the system/motherboard supports SATA.

For your purposes, it probably doesn't matter.

Louis

#7 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:25 PM

Thanks hamluis.

But this doesn't answer the main question.

deanpcmad

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:10 PM

If you don't think it's been answered, I guess I don't know how to read.

Several people have provided the same answer...just because you don't like/accept that...doesn't change the nature of those replies.

Louis

#9 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:46 AM

So how can I put two HDDs together to create one 160Gb Drive?

deanpcmad

#10 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 AM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:13 AM

No one is saying you can't do this by the way. They just wanna know why you would want to.

I'd leave the partions. Even though you will be using it as a backup server. Because you could always back up your backup (trust me you can never have enough back up).

Just a thought :thumbsup:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#11 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,253 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:51 AM

As far as I know, you cannot make a single 160gb hd from 2 80gb. That, to me, seems like taking 2 oranges and somehow merging them into 1. How can you make 2 seperate drives into 1? They have to be partitioned, therefore, each would have it's own partition and deleting the partition would render that drive unusable. If it is possible, I've never heard of it... :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#12 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 06:21 AM

Thanks.
I think I'll just leave it to two 80Gb drives.

Thanks for the help.

deanpcmad

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,397 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:35 AM

From Post #1 (which qualifies as the initial/main question, IMO) : <<I was wondering how to combine 2 HDDs into 1 as I have 2 80Gb HDDs and I want it to appear as 1.>>

Answers: RAID of some sort.

As previous poster noted...you cannot utilize hard drives in an additive manner for one partition.

If there were two partitions on one hard drive...you could add those together by various methods...but that is not what you are asking.

Louis

#14 deanpcmad

deanpcmad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 12:47 PM

OK I think I'll leave it. Thanks for the replys.

deanpcmad

#15 kd7jit

kd7jit

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 01:47 AM

With NTFS there is a feature that seem to be what you are looking for, Spanned Volume. it puts two physical drives and makes it appear as a single drive to the OS.. Think you can set up in Disk Management Console.

Jason

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users