Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem With Norton And Programs In Startup?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:36 PM

Hey guys. I had a problem when I started up this morning that I think was related to the Norton Security Suite I get through my ISP. It has virus protection, fiewall & spyware protection. I think I've fixed it but I wanted to run it by you guys and see if there's anything I should check just to make sure. I have made no changes to my system and it was working fine last night. Obviously when I start up there are programs that I have starting up routinely. Of course this includes Norton along with Wallpaper Master (to automatically change wallpaper) & CCleaner (to automatically clean cookies). This morning not only did these programs not start but I couldn't open them at all. This also affected my VeohTV player. I got an error message from Norton indicating that I need to uninstall and reinstall Norton. The Norton Fix tool wouldn't work. I checked Event Viewer and there wasn't anything there. So I did uninstall and reinstall Norton through my ISP website and things seem to be back to normal. I reinstalled the other programs and I can open them now and my saved cookies were still in CCleaner and my 280 wallpaper files were still in Wallpaper Master. I also have to reinstall AVG Anti Spyware but that's because of the Norton reinstallation. I'll reinstall that later. This didn't affect SpywareBlaster & Super AntiSpyware. So I don't know what happened because I didn't do anything and I'm just wondering if there's a way I could check just to be sure that the problem is fixed. It can either be within Windows or a third party utility. The other thing is that other programs that normally start up did start. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Almost forgot. Through all this Google Screensavers, which I have installed but don't use, became my screensaver. I didn't do that. I've changed it back to none because that's what I had set up before.

Edited by frankp316, 31 January 2008 - 12:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:25 PM

I'm not sure of a reasonable way to check your anti-virus program. Any online scanner is going to tell you it's not enough and to buy theirs.
This is my opinion only. Norton is bloated and over-rated. I would think the version offered by your ISP is a watered down version and you might do better with AVG or Avast. This is only my opinion. Maybe if you posted your question Here, you'll get more suggestions
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:57 PM

This link will provide you with a test file that should set your antivirus protection off (but it's not a virus). http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Please read the directions carefully, as it's harder to try it a second time! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

I don't think it's a watered down version of Norton. It seems to be a full version of Norton 2007. I believe that it somehow got corrupted and the uninstall & reinstall seems to have fixed that. I booted up just now and everything seems to work fine. I guess my concern is with the programs in startup and possibly checking that. It's kind of a WTF moment when stuff like that happens for no reason. At least I was able to fix it.

#5 loccrash1big

loccrash1big

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:48 PM

You might want to try SOLO anti-virus. It has found stuff on my comp that Norton and CA didn't. You can try it for 30 days free. I agree w/ Mark ; Norton is over rated.

#6 frankp316

frankp316
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 06:31 AM

Except I'm not paying for Norton. It comes with my ISP. It seems to be working OK now but if I was going to switch, it wouldn't be to a paid program.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users