Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Denied To Ie7 And Google-earth

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Markr01

Markr01

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:05 PM

Hi Folks

New here, not particularly PC literate so please bear with me. Running XP home edition (for my sins) with all the ptfs applied. As with every other Microsoft machine I've ever encountered its as stable as a three legged giraffe but here goes.
Having been a longterm user of Norton anti-virus I made the dreaded mistake of upgrading to NIS2006 (previous incarnation had worked OK). In addition to running like a dog with arthritis, it suddenly decided

1, to remove my access to IE6/7, stating :-

'Forbidden
You were denied access because:
Access denied by access control list.'

2, At the same time (I think) it also decided that Google-earth was to be out of bounds with :-

'Please check the following:-
- your network connection
- your firewall settings, are you blocking (C:/Program files/Google/Google Earth/GoogleEarth.exe?

error code 26'

Number one was not a show-stopper as I use Firefox as my browser, but repeat under the previous version I could use either.
Number 2, well I can and have lived without but I would like to decide what I can and can't use rather than some half-baked software. you get the point?

I presumed due to the timing, and considering these error codes/messages, that the most likely culprit is Norton.
I now find myself in a situation requiring web access to an app that doesn't support any other browser than IE and as such I need access back.

So I installed Avast to replace NIS and started to remove NIS.
I initially tried the supplied un-install, but like most things Symantec, that doesn't work. It runs but leaves all sorts of locked objects strewn about.
I tried manually deleting symantec stuff, but encountered the aforementioned locks.
A friend referred me to this site today and I have been battling through the Norton uninstall instructions ever since.
I tried the SymNRT.EXE but that doesn't work as it hits the date issue (despite my date being correct).
Further reading of the thread listed a more up to date version which completed OK.
Rebooted .......... and the bugger still wont run (neither IE7 or GE).

Any help gratefully accepted. (but go easy on the technical stuff please)

Thanks

Mark

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:45 PM

Google Earth is like any other program...when you have problems with it, the simplest attempted solution is to uninstall it, then reinstall it.

Seems to overcome a lot, IMO.

I used NIS 2006 for the entire year (2006) and I found it to be effective. Of course, I configured it properly and it seems to me that you need to do the same, particularly with regards to the firewall portion (which denies access to programs based on user input).

All it takes the time invested to read and understand the options presented.

With all of whatever you have done to the system...it probably would not hurt to run chkdsk first, then defrag.

What is the Event Viewer, and Should I Care - Ask Leo! - http://ask-leo.com/what_is_the_event_viewe...uld_i_care.html

Louis

#3 Markr01

Markr01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:53 PM

Thanks for the reply. Hear what you say regarding google-earth but regarding IE?
As I say Norton is no more, so configuration is out of the question.
chkdsk?? - Like I said I'm not technical and not familiar with that.

Further to the above, I've just re-installed Google-earth but upon running I now get a window saying its cocked up, with an explanation. But what I get is this string below plus a list of various objects. Useless!!!

Index of file:///C:/Program Files/Google/Google Earth/?ver=4.2.0205.5730&err=1&errc=26&stsc=0&hl=en&gl=GB&cook=0&hist=1&lastHttpErr=11_403&httpErr-0=11_403&geErrMap-0=11_1&errCodeMap-0=403_1&ntKH1=-1073086061&ntNS=-1073086061&ntGO=-1073086061&ntSU=-1073086061&ntKH2=-1073086061&prox=1&av=avast!_antivirus_4.7.1098_[VPS_080131-1]&avv=4.7.1098

Edited by Markr01, 31 January 2008 - 01:50 PM.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

Are you sure Norton is no more?
Norton Removal Tool
I would also download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility If there's anything in there that refers to Norton, check it's box and remove it.
***note: Do not use this tool for MS Office products***
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:41 PM

If Norton is installed with an improper date - it's nearly impossible to remove effectively, and will generate date errors continually. In order to remove it completely, you have to go into the registry and delete not only the keys that say Norton/Symantec - but also some (but not all) of the keys above them in the registry.

I did it once with Norton GoBack and it took 2 people 4 hours just to remove everything (and we got lucky and didn't remove anything else critical to the system's function) - and we only charged the guy $30 to do it! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Markr01

Markr01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 09:02 AM

If Norton is installed with an improper date - it's nearly impossible to remove effectively, and will generate date errors continually. In order to remove it completely, you have to go into the registry and delete not only the keys that say Norton/Symantec - but also some (but not all) of the keys above them in the registry.

I did it once with Norton GoBack and it took 2 people 4 hours just to remove everything (and we got lucky and didn't remove anything else critical to the system's function) - and we only charged the guy $30 to do it! :thumbsup:

John - thanks for the reply. I suspect your right. Whilst attempting to use the uninstall util quoted here I kept hitting date issues and upon following the Symantec help it had me manually editing the registry. This I did, specifically the My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SymNRT\LTM and deleted it, but all this did was remove some font cache object leaving another object (of type REG_SZ value not set). Thing is something keeps recreating the deleted cache object.
There are also a number of entries for symantec immediately prior to this SymNRT\LTM entry which I suspect shouldn't be there but I'm not knowledgeable to know whether its safe to delete them. Currently waiting on response from Symantec helpdesk but they take weeks to reply to anything usually!!

All help appreciated

Mark

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:29 AM

What's doing this (I suspect) is a registry entry that's closely tied with some security procedures that Symantec has implemented on your system. As such, Symantec is the best one to remove this. There are ways to figger this out - but with a bulky program like NIS it'll take you a lot longer to fix it than it would to backup your data and reformat the system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 Markr01

Markr01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:58 AM

What's doing this (I suspect) is a registry entry that's closely tied with some security procedures that Symantec has implemented on your system. As such, Symantec is the best one to remove this. There are ways to figger this out - but with a bulky program like NIS it'll take you a lot longer to fix it than it would to backup your data and reformat the system.

Thanks usasma. The symantec registry entrys I think I know how to remove, but any other stuff? - I'm out of my depth. Still waiting for Symantec to get back to me.
What I'd like to know is why these supposed removal routines don't strip this stuff out? - an un-install that doesn't remove every last trace and therefore effect, is a waste of time surely?

Mark

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:35 AM

The uninstall routines are written by the same persons writing the program.

Sloppiness during either can provide the unexpected, unwanted.

Louis

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 06:44 PM

Some of the uninstall stuff may be sloppiness - but other stuff left is sometimes due to their security (so you can't use an unauthorized copy of their software), while another reason is for preserving your settings in case you ever reinstall.

There's only one sure way (that I know of) to remove everything after it's been installed - that's by using an installation monitoring utility like Total Uninstall. Total Uninstall (no longer freeware) will monitor the changes to your system - and will remove as many of those traces as it can. It will then provide you with a list of what it can't remove - so then you can have a go at uninstalling it yourself.

#11 Markr01

Markr01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:04 AM

Thanks folks - I still await Symantec glacially slow help-desk

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users