Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Not Connecting To Wireless.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 matty34

matty34

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

Hey there.

Well, i've had wireless for a year now, but about 5 months ago it stopped working. I couldn't find out why, so when my uncle got back from his work holiday, I got him round.
The router is setup correctly (linksys) but he noticed that there was an "Internet Connection" bit in "Network Connections" as a gateway. which he has never seen before with wireless, as he says you don't need a gateway for wireless.
I plugged the network cable into my laptop (Dell Inspirion 2200) it will connect to wireless without a problem, soon as I take the cable out, boom. No connection from wireless.

Can anyone help at all? :thumbsup:

Edited by matty34, 31 January 2008 - 11:46 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 matty34

matty34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:15 AM

*Bump*

#3 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 PM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 10:04 AM

What flavor OS? Are any error messages being generated? Have you tried manually configuring the wireless? Have you tried using the wireless card in another system to rule out a hardware failure? There are any number of things that could be wrong, including you installing/uninstalling 5 months ago, update gone bad, etc.

#4 matty34

matty34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:31 PM

I've bought a wireless card, still nothing. No error messages are being produced, I've tried my laptop at my mates house, and wireless still doesn't work.

Im not quite sure on what to do, and my laptop is running Microsoft xp

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 12:50 PM

You mean you bought a new wireless card? Did you install the drivers for it?

#6 matty34

matty34
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 70 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:12 PM

Ohh, no I mean I bought like the wireless card adapter thing to try and boost a signal etc.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:11 PM

That still doesn't let us know if your wireless card is bad or not. It needs to be popped into another laptop and see if it works (preferably one with the same sort of card). Barring that, take the card into a computer shop and see if they can test it for you. You need to rule out the card as the source of the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users