Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Keeps Shutting Down.... Randomly.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 fierce_glare

fierce_glare

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:22 AM

I have a COMPAQ Presario and it has Windows XP.

My computer keeps shutting down by itself randomly. I have tried so many things, so please bare with me. So this is what happens. I will be doing something on the computer, (It doesn't matter if I have one program open, two, none, it has done this to me on ALL occasions) and suddenly all my programs windows get closed, the computer says "saving settings... shutting down..." and then it turns off. Then, my computer proceeds to turn itself back on, then back off, in about 5 second intervals, over and over and over. What I usually have to do is turn of my power bar that all my plugs are plugged into, and then turn it back on, and turn the computer on. Anyways, the thing is, it's so hard to know what's wrong, because it is so random!! I'll turn my computer on, and I'll get about 10 minutes into usage, and it'll shut itself down. And then the next time I try, the computer will go five or six HOURS before shutting itself down. Why is it doing this? I've been researching online... people say things like check the fans, check your power source, check this and that... and I have, and everything seems perfectly fine. Please, if you can help me with this, I would be forever thankful.

I think it's important to note that it does not just shut down instantly and go to a black screen. It will actually close all my programs, display a "saving your settings.... shutting down.." screen, and then turn off.

Also, I did things such as clean out all the dust from the computer (I do this on a regular basis), disconnect all the cords and reconnect them, making sure every connection was snug and tight, made sure the temperature was never anything higher than cold, system restore and system scan, when I thought it could be a virus...

I'm just really stuck here guys... Any help would be SO appreciated!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:39 AM

what model pressario and most importantly what cpu?

have you installed anything like everest home free

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

so you can see the temperatures and voltages and maybe see a pattern to the crashes?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users