Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Reinstall The .net Framework

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 firstgirl

firstgirl

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:19 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:36 AM

I'm not sure how to proceed...can anyone shed some light?

When I tried to open Windows Media Center I get this message:

"ehshell.exe-Error"
"A fatal error occurred. However mscorees.dll could not be loaded to display the appropriate error message. Please reinstall the .NET Framework."

What happened was my son uninstalled Paint.NET and also uninstalled .NET Framework v.2.0 because he thought it was a part of Paint.NET.

My question is: what version of .NET Framework am I supposed to use? I have searched Microsoft site, but there are so many versions. I don't want to get the wrong one, plus there seem to be all these updates. I think the computer originally had v.1.1 but I am not sure.

I have Windows XP w/SP2 Media Center Edition 2002 (I think 2002 -- but since I can't open it, I'm not sure)

I'm sorry this is such a lame question -- we're feeling pretty incompetent right now. I'd be grateful if anyone has any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:50 AM

Question: Did your son simply uninstall those programs or did he delete program files as well? If he did NOT delete any program files, you might be able to fix your problem by using "last known configuration." Let us know if those files were deleted or not in your next post (I hope your son remembers whether or not he did so.), then someone more knowledgeable than I can walk you through the next steps.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:38 AM

I would just go with the 3.0 version.

Some seem to think that versions matter, while I do not. At least, it doesn't matter for what I use it for (download drivers).

From what I read, programs are written for a specific version...but the later versions are backwards compatible (which makes sense). So a program developed to utilize version 3.0 will not perform satisfactorily on Version 1.0...but a version written for 1.0 will work with any succeeding version.

This is typical of many programs that are developed.

Louis

#4 firstgirl

firstgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:14 AM

Question: Did your son simply uninstall those programs or did he delete program files as well? If he did NOT delete any program files, you might be able to fix your problem by using "last known configuration." Let us know if those files were deleted or not in your next post (I hope your son remembers whether or not he did so.), then someone more knowledgeable than I can walk you through the next steps.

Thank you for considering my query!
He says he only uninstalled and did not delete any program files. (I do not know what program files are.) What is "last known configuration" --?
Gosh, I think we sound like a pair of id-jits, but we can follow instructions...just got to learn to ask FIRST.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:15 AM

I'd suggest installing .NET 2.0 because that's what was deleted.

While knowing which framework is required isn't very easy to do - the computer will let you know if you need it (but won't always tell you what version). So install .NET 2.0 and see if the error goes away.

It seems to me that .NET 3.0 is starting to make some inroads into a unified .NET framework - but that it's not quite there yet. It updates some of the .NET 2.0 files if it's installed when .NET 2.0 is present. Hopefully .NET 4.0 will take this even further - so one day we won't have all the different versions to mess with.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 firstgirl

firstgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:18 AM

I would just go with the 3.0 version.

Some seem to think that versions matter, while I do not. At least, it doesn't matter for what I use it for (download drivers).

From what I read, programs are written for a specific version...but the later versions are backwards compatible (which makes sense). So a program developed to utilize version 3.0 will not perform satisfactorily on Version 1.0...but a version written for 1.0 will work with any succeeding version.

This is typical of many programs that are developed.

Louis

Thank you so much for your prompt reply -- I really appreciate it. We will try installing .NET Framework 3.0 and see if that will allow us to open Media Center. May I post another question if it does not work? (Hate to be a pest.)

#7 firstgirl

firstgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:25 AM

I'd suggest installing .NET 2.0 because that's what was deleted.

While knowing which framework is required isn't very easy to do - the computer will let you know if you need it (but won't always tell you what version). So install .NET 2.0 and see if the error goes away.

It seems to me that .NET 3.0 is starting to make some inroads into a unified .NET framework - but that it's not quite there yet. It updates some of the .NET 2.0 files if it's installed when .NET 2.0 is present. Hopefully .NET 4.0 will take this even further - so one day we won't have all the different versions to mess with.

Aha, I got your post just in time. I had told "Luis" I would install v. 3.0, but what you're saying makes sense, too. I did read -- don't ask where...I've waded through so much stuff -- that you are not supposed to have more than one version on the computer at once. True? I really don't understand what .NET Framework even is, actually, though that may be the subject of a whole other inquiry.
In any case, I'm not going to get in a big hurry since everything else on the computer seems OK for now -- just Media Center doesn't open. Thank you for your advice.
(so many generous people at this forum!)

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:27 AM

No, you can have (and many people do have) all 3 versions installed at once. V1.1, V2.0, and V3.0 will co-exist quite nicely. If you're going to install V2.0 and V3.0 - then I'd suggest doing V2.0 first. That way V3.0 can update it when it installs.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:32 PM

I was just rereading the entire thread, and I realized that I misinterpreted the first post: I thought you weren't able to get the computer up and running reading it as the Media Center version of XP rather than a separate program within the computer. That is why I suggested "last known configuration" if the files hadn't been deleted.

Given that the files have not been deleted, I think reinstalling the deleted NET framework would simply involve using System Restore choosing a date and time just before NET framework was uninstalled. This would also reverse any updates that have been made since then, and reinstall the other uninstalled programs if the files are still aboard.

Of course, if you have already downloaded new NET framework files and installed them using System Restore at this point is unnecessary.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users