Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Wont Load Windows Or Dectect Hdd

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 wh00pa

wh00pa

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:52 PM

Cant load windows... hard drive is not detected?

my hard drive blew out on my HP 6710b laptop, so i went and bought a new one.. i replaced the broken one into the sata connectors, and when i turned on my laptop, this stupid bios password prompt came up out of nowhere.. so i took out my CMOS battery and i succesfully bypassed it i even replaced the battery with a new one, now when i turn on my laptop the bios says my date and time isnt set.. My bios doesnt have anyway of setting it, so i figured if i load windows it will get fixed.. the problem is now, when i boot up my windows
xp disk, the setup says their is no hard drive detected, the hard drive is good becuase i tryed to set it up in another laptop.. and it detected fine..

wtf do i fix this? do i need a recovery disk

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:26 AM

The HP BIOS should let you change the time - every one that I remember seeing had a place to do that. Try locating the BIOS screen with the date and time on it - then try the arrow keys, the tab key, and the spacebar to see if you can navigate to it.

If the hard drive isn't detected, then you won't be able to setup Windows. Does the BIOS indicate that it can see the hard drive? Have you loaded the SATA drivers (or set the SATA/IDE emulation thingie in the BIOS) when the XP setup prompts you to "press F6 to install SCSI or RAID drivers" early on in the setup process?

In most cases, recovery disks for HP's cost about $20 US - and are well worth it because they'll install the drivers also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users