Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Surface Or Internet Connection?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 girloveswaffles

girloveswaffles

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:03 PM

This question didnt really seem to fit in any of the catagories, but im running off XP Media center edition, so i thought this was fitting enough.
Ive been having some trouble with my laptop lagging after a while of being turned on. Usually happens when im running something on the internet that takes a lot of CPU or a program that takes a lot of CPU.

My laptop usually sits on a table that is made of a relatively soft wood. The surface is soft enough that you can dig your nails into it without pressing very hard, so it seems to me like it would absorb a lot of heat. Right now i am feeling the bottom of the table, and can feel the heat going through. There is also an internet connection in 2 rooms of my house. Only one of them can be used at a time, due to having only one modem. The cable in the other room was left there from previous use, and is not to be regularly used because the room is generally off-limits (a bedroom).

Due to the bedroom being empty for the last week, i took it over and put my laptop in there. There is a solid hard wood table in there, which i placed my laptop on, as well as the other internet cable. When i used my computer in this room, it ran more smoothly than it has in a very long time. The internet was not laggy, and im not sure, but i dont think it heated up near as much.

My question is, do you think it worked better in that room because of a better internet connection, or the table itself?

thanks ;D

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 girloveswaffles

girloveswaffles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

I also forgot to mention, if the problem is the table i am using, is there anything i could place under the laptop while its on this table to stop the table from collecting heat?

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:55 PM

Laptop Coolers. They are a good idea, but I think your problem is it's just a better connection. I would suggest looking into a router and wireless connections where you could connect any where in the house. Depending on how old your laptop is, it could also have lint built up in the fan causing it to get hot. A can of compressed air directed at the air vent might dislodge it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users