Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wi-lan (something Like That) Randomly Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 MuffinMan9o9

MuffinMan9o9

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:26 PM

Well a while back my wireless networking hardware stopped working. Now whenever I try to turn my switch on it stay with the orange light instead of blue (meaning it doesn't work anymore). When I try to diagnose why I can't find any networks it says: 'This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured'. Then below that it has a click able box that says 'Install wireless networking hardware and verify the correct drivers are downloaded'. So, naturally, I click this box and it takes me to windows help and gives me a list of options such as: 'I installed new drivers and they do not work' and 'My driver used to work, but now it doesn't.' So I click on 'My driver used to work, but now it doesn't.' From there it says that I should install windows updates, which I have many a time. It also says I can try 'rolling back' my driver to a previous version, which also, I have tried many a time only for it to do nothing. I can't update my driver to a newer version either. So for a couple months I was just like oh well I'll let it be not that big of a deal. However, recently, it started working again, I boot up my laptop and it says 'Wi-Lan (or whatever it is called) Enabled' and the blue light was on my switch meaning it worked. So I was like alright sweet not sure what happened but I'm not complaining. The next day, does it work? no, it went back to as it was - not working, saying to check windows update, etc. Anyway, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what is going on or how I go about fixing this problem.

Thanks in advance, Muffin.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lakelady

lakelady

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 01:19 AM

Hi MuffinMan,

I have the same problem and would love an answer as well! When this happens to me I usually use a cord to plug in to the router and it seems to fix the wireless within a few hours. But this will become much more annoying when the weather warms up and I will be outside with my laptop!

Hopefully someone will be able to offer some suggestions!

#3 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 16 February 2008 - 03:28 AM

Hi MuffinMan9o9,
Just a few questions:
1. What is the make/model of your laptop?
2. Where did you get the new drivers from, MS Update, or the manufacturer's website, or somewhere else?
3. Many models of laptops allow you to toggle the wireless card on/off through a combination of keys on the keyboard, or a switch. Have you tried that yet? (my cat disabled mine by sitting on it :huh: )
4. Click start -> run and type cmd in the textbox. When the command prompt is up, type ipconfig and hit enter. Right click the title bar of the command window, and select properties. On the options tab, make sure Quick Edit is checked. Click Ok. Now highlight the results of ipconfig and right-click to copy it into memory. Paste back with these results.

Hi lakelady,
Feel free to follow these steps too, but because there are so many possible reasons for computer problems, you'd probably be better off starting your own thread (to avoid confusion, you see :huh: ).

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#4 MuffinMan9o9

MuffinMan9o9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:14 PM

1. Hp Pavilion dv6000
2. MS Update
3. Well I have a switch and when I turn it to On nothing happens. As for a key combination it is possible but I'm not sure what it is.
4. Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : earthlink.net
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::7d82:95cb:3933:5af1%8
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.107
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : earthlink.net
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5efe:192.168.1.107%12
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e66:8c0:184b:3f57:fe94
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::8c0:184b:3f57:fe94%9
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

And Lakelady I'll try plugging it directly into my router to see if I have the same results.

#5 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 01:58 PM

Not to sound discouraging, but it looks like this model of laptop frequently has trouble with the wireless card:
http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/...6000-c8799.html

Your best bet is to download any drivers directly from the manufacturer (HP) itself.
According to the HP support site, you should make sure you have the latest BIOS drivers to address this particular problem.

If you need this update, and are unsure of how to do it, feel free to post back.

Acer Aspire 5732z

#6 MuffinMan9o9

MuffinMan9o9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:42 PM

Blah, well that sucks.

Well I'm not sure if I have the latest so I'll just go ahead and say I need it. How do I go about getting it?

#7 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 17 February 2008 - 03:50 PM

On some models of notebooks, the PC Wireless Local Area Network (WLAN) light may indicate the WLAN is on, but the wireless network is not detected. Occasionally, the WLAN is missing in the Device Manager.
These symptoms occur when the BIOS on the notebook has not been updated to the most current version available. In order to correct this problem, you will need to download and install BIOS F.3A (SP36551) or later.

The first thing you'll want to do is backup any critical data to removable media (like a CD), in case anything goes badly during the update.

Then navigate to the following page:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...=c00828604#N591

Now, scroll down to the section entitled Obtain current BIOS from HP website, and follow its instructions. At the end of step 6, I would assume that you double-click the file, or unzip and run it it to begin the actual process of executing the update.

Also note the section labeled Obtain current HP drivers with the HP Update utility, which should prove helpful. There are many benefits to keeping your drivers up to date (from the manufacturer, that is).

Acer Aspire 5732z

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users