Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video/graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 frigg50

frigg50

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:31 PM

Help, anyone out there know about integrated video/graphics cards? I need to upgrade my graphics but I have found that I have to replace the motherboard to it, It was suggested that I use an external graphics (usb 2) card, I have no problem with that except they all need to be plugged into another monitor, I don't want to do that. The reason I have a laptop is to minimize the space I have to use.

Any suggestions out there? I don't know what to do.

Thanks,
frigg50

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:39 AM

Hi frigg50, welcome to BC. :huh:
Your on-board graphics borrows from main memory. The only other "internal" upgrade choice you have would be to increase that. Depending on your operating system and laptop model, you may be able to dedicate more of main memory to graphics (ie: via bios, video settings, etc). Some info on your specs would help. :thumbsup:

#3 frigg50

frigg50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 05:42 PM

Hi HitSquad, I have an HP Compaq Presario V2000, it has XP w/ser-pak 2, the Graphics is ATI Radon Xpress 200M with the AMD Turion 64 what's it'. How can I borrow from the main memory and or replace it? I can do desktop stuff but the laptop is a mystery to me. So far my graphics handles most everything but the new programs require more than I have and I am hoping to keep this laptop for sometime yet. any suggestions are appreciated.
Frigg50

#4 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 AM

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:38 AM

Hi again frigg50.
Your notebook typicly comes with 512mb ram with a max capacity of 2gb.
The upgrade procedure is in the manual here in pdf format. See Hardware Upgrades>Removing\Inserting Memory Modules.
How much main memory borrowed for graphics is controlled by the mainboard chipset. You can often adjust this via the bios setup menu in the "main" or "advanced" menus or sub-menus. How to enter the bios setup menu and navigate is here
Also, by eliminating XP's default eye candy, such as menu animation, menu fading, visual styling, etc, you can get a little more of that main memory back.
The real question here is how far you want to take it. Maxing the main memory, dedicating max video memory in the bios and tweaking xp itself to use less main memory for other things will definetly help, but there's no gaurantee when it comes to really "intense" graphics usage on a laptop, especially when gaming. You are also limited to a 1024x768 screen resolution. Nothing you can do about that. There are also apps\games that require a seperate dedicated video card found in desktops. That is nearly always indicated on the box.

#5 frigg50

frigg50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2008 - 10:05 AM

Thanks for the info, I will try your suggestions.
Frigg50

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users