Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rayal49

Rayal49

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:26 PM

I start my computer, get windows screen followed by dark screen , followed by welcome screen.On selecting an account task bar appears, desktop screen appears all as normal, but then it can take ..up to 5 minutes for desktop icons to appear.How can I speed this up ?Any ideas please.

Rayal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

How many applications do you have running at Startup? Look down in the right hand corner. While you're waiting for it to load, right-click on the Taskbar and open Task Manager and see if there are any processes spiking the CPU besides System Idle process. Check applications in Task Manager and see what, if anything, is running
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 jmain

jmain

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 07:44 PM

Try getting a start up manager, they usually will come with a lot of utility programs. When you get one, look to see what you think is unnecessary at start up. Programs that are not important when starting the computer. Most of the utility programs that have a start up manager will let you know if the item is important or unimportant at windows startup.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 08:04 PM

Defrag the system...after doing a chkdsk on the drive/partition.

Close startup items which don't need to run.

Check Device Manager for indications of driver/hardware problems.

Check Event Viewer for clues.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users