Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Proper.exe Deleted

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

I think I just did something really stupid. Our Director was having problems with viruses on her computer and every time upon reboot, they would get the pop up message:

Cannot find C:\Windows\system32\proper.exe

I would close out this popup and everything started to run fine. I looked up this application and it described it as something that will show fake security alerts:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/p....exe-20479.html

I ran adware and spybot clean and sweeps, but the pop up would still upon reboot or logins. So I did a search in the registry and found it at:

C:\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin

For "Shell" the Value DAta was:

Explorer.exe C:\Windows\system32\proper.exe

so, I deleted this value!!!!

Now, only a blank screen comes up with no icons. It is just the Windows Desktop background.

Can anyone show me how to unf*$! myself?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:37 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:12 PM

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to get the Windows Task Manager to open.
Click on File, then on New Task (Run)
In the box that pops up, type "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) and press Enter.

This should restore your Desktop

If that works, backup your registry immediately!!!
Then go to Start, then to Run, then type in "regedit" (without the quotes) and press Enter
Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Once there, right click on an empty area of the right hand pane and select New, then select "String Value"
Type "Shell" (without the quotes) into the key that is created
Then double click on it, and enter "explorer.exe" (without the quotes) in the Data Value field - and click OK to save the changes.
Reboot and your desktop should open up normally.

Let us know if the error message comes back - there's another way to remove it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

Going to the Windows Task Manager and clicking File -> New Task (Run) and typing "explorer.exe" just brings up Windows Explorer. The Desktop is still as it was, so I don't see a Start button anyway on the Desktop.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:12 PM

Then use the New Task (Run) to launch "regedit" and fix it from there. :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 SysTech Guy

SysTech Guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:29 PM

Sorry, it has been a long day. AFter being able to run the explorer.exe from the task manager it should have been obvious to run the regedit process.

Anyway, it looks like it is back up again.

Thanks!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 07:53 AM

I'm glad you got it working! Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users