Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Show Hidden Files Disabled Found Autorun.inf In All The Partitions

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Trojan Warrior

Trojan Warrior

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:47 PM

Hello,

My name is Safeer, I am having this Issue for a while now. Glad that I ran into this wonderful community of yours. Combofix did delete the Autorun.inf Virus from C: but D: and E: were left unharmed please advise. I am sorry I by mistake lost the Log file.

Thanks,
Safeer

{Mod Edit: Removed words Hijakthis from title~~Boopme}

Edited by boopme, 30 January 2008 - 11:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 PM

Posted 02 February 2008 - 12:42 AM

Hello Trojan Warrior and welcome to BC :flowers:

Combofix is an advanced cleaning tool that is designed to be used under the guidance of a malware expert. You can seriously damage your system if combofix is used improperly.

What are the problems you have been experiencing with your computer? The more specific information we have, the better we can help you. Also, please tell us what your operating system is: Windows XP, Vista etc.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Trojan Warrior

Trojan Warrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:05 AM

Hello Orange Blossom,

Apologies for the delay in responding. I am using XP Pro SP 2 and have this particular Autorun.inf file on all the partitions (C: D: E: and F:). I have Ubuntu on my F: which is inacessible in Windows. I can view this Autorun.inf file while am logged in Ubuntu and I can delete them however they are back on when I am in Windows.

This particular Virus disables the Show Hidden files completely and also when you try to open the Drives it gives me a option to choose a program to open. I would need help with removing this file from my unit and also from my Thumb drive please.

Thanks a bunch in advance and hoping to get over this sooner. :thumbsup:

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,903 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 12:43 AM

Hello Trojan Warrior,

It looks like you have a flash drive infection there. I can provide you with the first step, but then an expert will have to take over. Would you prefer to wait for the expert to give you the first step as well?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 Trojan Warrior

Trojan Warrior
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 09:56 AM

Hello Orange Blossom, Thanks for your response. I don't mind waiting.

Thanks,
Safeer

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,263 posts
  •  

Posted 11 February 2008 - 02:47 PM

Please download MsnCleaner.zip and save to you Desktop. (in addition to removing infected files, it will remove certain restrictions on your system often disabled by malware.)
  • Extract (unzip) the file to your desktop. (click here if your not sure how to do this) but DO NOT use it yet.
  • Reboot your computer in "Safe Mode" using the F8. To do this restart your computer and after hearing your computer beep once during startup (but before the Windows icon appears) press the F8 key repeatedly. A boot menu will appear with several options. Use the arrow keys to navigate and select the option to run Windows in "Safe Mode".
  • Double-click MsnCleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click the "Analyze" button.
  • A report will be created after the scan and will be saved to C:\MsnCleaner.txt.
  • If it finds an infection, click the "Deleted" button.
  • Reboot normally and post the contents of MsnCleaner.txt in your next reply.
Please insert your flash drive before we begin!

Download Flash_Disinfector.exe by sUBs and save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click Flash_Disinfector.exe to run it and follow any prompts that may appear.
  • The utility may ask you to insert your flash drive and/or other removable drives. Please do so and allow the utility to clean up those drives as well.
  • Wait until it has finished scanning and then exit the program.
  • Reboot your computer when done.
Note: Flash_Disinfector will create a hidden folder named autorun.inf in each partition and every USB drive that is plugged in when you ran it. Don't delete this folder...it will help protect your drives from future infection.

When done remove any Startup RUN value by downloading and using Autoruns.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users