Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Takes Forever To Run Programs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ratdem

ratdem

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

I recently purchased a HP Pavilion PC from Buy.com. The specs are:

Windows Vista Home Premium
AMD Athalon 64 X2 Dual Core 5000+, 2600 MHz
350 Gig Hard Drive
2 Gig DDR2 ram

The problem I am having is that some programs take extremely long times to run. When downloading updates from Windows Update, I'll sometimes wait over ten minutes for the updsate to begin installing. The longest part if the update process is waiting for a restore point to be created, which I understand can take a while with a large hardrive. Other things take a long time to run or install as well. My printer, which I've updated with the newest drivers for Vista, can take five minutes or more to begin printing. After it starts it works fine, but it takes ages to get to that point.

Another program that took a long time to work was the uninstall of a Nero trial. It took almost a half hour for the uninstall to begin.. The window stopped at "Preparing Uninstall" with the progress bar moving, but it just sat there. Finally I left the PC to go to the restroom, and when I returned it had begun the uninstall.

I haven't added any programs to the PC that didn't run rock steady on my old XP system, and I've made sure to update any drivers or old versions as Vista recommended. I don't believe it's anything I've put on the PC myself, anyway, as it's been doing this almost since the first boot. Has anyone else had similar problems, and if so, is there a fix? I'm close to wiping Vista out entirely and reinstalling my old copy of XP.
"If ignorance is bliss, then wipe the smile off my face."
Rage Against the Machine

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:07 AM

You might want to take a look at 'PC Decrapifier', 'Auto Runs', or 'Process Tamer' here:
http://www.winvistaclub.com/download.html

Also, Black Viper has some suggestions for 'Services':
http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/servicecfg.htm

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#3 ratdem

ratdem
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 01:25 AM

I appreciate the suggestions, but have found nothing to help my situation. I was going to make a last ditch effort to try and salcage this whole thing by removing all of the programs that HP had pre-loaded on the PC, but when it took 25 minutes for the uninstall to even begin, I decided to burn the bridge and just return to dependable old XP.

Thanks for trying to help, but the situation is not fixable.
"If ignorance is bliss, then wipe the smile off my face."
Rage Against the Machine

#4 03humphrec

03humphrec

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 05 February 2008 - 04:38 AM

I appreciate the suggestions, but have found nothing to help my situation. I was going to make a last ditch effort to try and salcage this whole thing by removing all of the programs that HP had pre-loaded on the PC, but when it took 25 minutes for the uninstall to even begin, I decided to burn the bridge and just return to dependable old XP.

Thanks for trying to help, but the situation is not fixable.

I think that install XP is your best option but install xp pro not home as your computer is good spec and using home is a waste of time

Server 1- 2.8GHz Intel Celeron, 1GB Ram, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, Windows Home Server
Server 2 - 1.9GHz Intel P4, 385 MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-ROM, Windows Server 2003 Standard
Desktop - 2.0GHz AMD Athlon, 512MB Ram, 40GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro
Advent 9117 - Intel Dual Core T2310 1.46GHz, 160GB HDD, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 17" Widescreen (http://www.w00tw00t.co.uk/support/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4197)
Toshiba Satellite Pro L40 - 1.8GHz Intel Celeron, 2GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Wireless, DVD-RW, XP Pro, 15.4" Widescreen

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users