Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pencil Illustrations And Scanning

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 terrispeakz

terrispeakz

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:50 PM

Hola, All :thumbsup:

I do portraiture using graphite pencil and I have a small home scanner...since most of my work is done on 19x24 paper, I usually have to scan the finished portrait in six separate scans, then, in adobe photoshop cs3, I use the auto align and auto blend features to pull everything together.

It results in streaks and even though I have the scan settings on "grayscale", there is a "hardness" added to the screen shot that is not at all indicative of the softness and exceptional blending that eliminates lines.

Is there an illustrator on here who can help with scan settings or some type of filtering technique that will allow the scan to look as close to the original as possible?

Your Artist,
TERRI!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhsmurray

jhsmurray

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:19 PM

I'm not a pro, but one place you might look is the option of modifying the DPI (dots per inch) at scan-time. The default is often 300, but if you can increase this it may help.
Also be sure the scan-plate is free of graphite and other residue.

Acer Aspire 5732z
Processor: Intel Pentium III Xeon, 2200 MHz
RAM: 3 GB
Display: Mobile Intel GMA 4500M

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

Alex Lindsay is the founder of Pixel Corp. and THE guru when it comes to Photo Shop. They have forums at http://www.pixelcorps.com/, that he frequents quite a lot. It's definitely worth a look around.
He gets into all sorts of discussions about anything pertaining to photos, drawings, animation, you name it
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 terrispeakz

terrispeakz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 11:06 AM

Thank you Garmanma and JH :thumbsup:

I really appreciate your help and Iwill check out both

Nuf Luv and Thick Hugz