Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstall

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jaylee16354

jaylee16354

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

I just got this computer from my mother, and there is no space on the C: drive. When I recieved it, it had windows 98 but I soon upgraded to XP, I dont have SP2 or higher. I went into the add/remove programs and removed all games and software that wasnt being utilized, and removed all videos and pics, and I still have MINIMAL storage space for what I needed it for. Every time I delete cookies, I get more, but on startup, I check the properties of the drive and I have less and less space. I have spybot and hijack this..I just dont know what else to do!

Edited by boopme, 30 January 2008 - 11:28 PM.
{Moved to More Appropriate Forum~~boopme}

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,993 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:02 AM

Welcome to BC jaylee16354 :flowers:

In order for us to better help you, I am going to ask some questions:

How much total memory does the hard drive have?

You said you "upgraded to Windows XP." How did you do this? Is each a separate installation so that there are two operating systems?

What is the make of your computer?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:43 AM

I think we want to know...how much free space your hard drive has...and how big the stated size of the drive is (full capacity).

<<...and I still have MINIMAL storage space for what I needed it for.>>

Is anything preventing obtaining a larger or another hard drive...and installing same?

Louis

#4 jaylee16354

jaylee16354
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 02:31 PM

It has 3.54 GB (I think) of space and 487 MB left. I cant buy a new one and install windows again, because I don't have the disk, It got lost in the move. I installed it over the Windows 98 just like the box said to do. I tried to Uninstall all the stuff I had on here before, but for some things, I need the disks and I don't have the software anymore either. I was wondering if there was a way to completely delete everything except windows and my Terayon modem software. HELP.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:07 PM

Well...you can manually uninstall all applications except whatever...and you can delete all data files that you don't want.

To be honest, the era of 4-6GB hard drives has been long gone and I'm amazed that XP even worked on that small a hard drive.

I don't see uninstalling/deleting as a solution...but it's not my system :thumbsup:.

The disk can be replaced...the question is do you have your applicable license information in a safe place?

Sorry, but I just cannot fathom anything positive to say...about a hard drive that tiny. Maybe others can.

Louis

#6 jaylee16354

jaylee16354
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:34 AM

Ok, so i bought a new computer...it ran fine when I first got it, but now it is s-l-o-w...I have gone and downloaded all the software that the site reccomends, but it made it run even slower. The main issue that I have is that after a fullscan while the program is deleting the spyware and everything, the computer freezes and takes FOREVER to load anything.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2008 - 11:37 AM

10 Reasons Why Your Computer Runs Slow - - http://www.bestsecuritytips.com/xfsection+...rticleid+43.htm

Slow Computer - http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users