Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant Get On A Particular Site

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 luvbug

luvbug

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:33 PM

I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section.

I am having trouble getting on a particular site. This problem started about 1 week ago...no new software has been added...I keep the history cleared...no viruses or spyware.

I type the address in the address line and it will go to a search engine....I click on the link in the search engine and it will go to page cannot be displayed.

I have googled the site, clicked on it and it goes to page cannot be displayed.

I have hit refresh and it didnt help.

I dont know what to do. Any help and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AgentMES

AgentMES

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:37 PM

You might have a URL search hook, have you tried posting your HiJackThis log?

#3 luvbug

luvbug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:46 PM

I am very computer illiterate.......I dont know what a URL search hook is.....this is the only place I have posted.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,841 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:28 PM

I would not suggest a HJT log at this point. There are other things to consider first. Such as DNS issues, or the web site temporarily down, Or even ISP blocking issues. A HJT log is not the cure all, without doing preliminary analysis first.

I would clear all browser cache and browser cookies. Reboot your machine and try again as step one. Step two, can you reach the site with another machine? If you don't mind sharing what the site URL is? We can see if we can reach the site to know if it's more than just localized to your machine.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:49 PM

Try what Animal suggested first concerning the browser cache and cookies. If that does not clear up the issue, in addition to trying to access the site from another computer, try the following:

Do you have more than one user account set up on your computer? If so, can you log on to one of those accounts and try accessing the site from there? If not, the easiest thing to do is go to Control Panel/User Accounts, and set up Guest Account to show on the welcome screen. You can then try to get to the site from there. You can easily reset the account not to show.

I'm suggesting this for a reason: a couple of months ago, I had problems connecting to one site.
After 2 days of dealing with it, I had a light bulb moment-go to my husband's and my daughter's
desktops, open my browser, type in the address, and BINGO-it connected each time I tried.
Back at my desktop and still no joy. I never did figure out why Page cannot be displayed showed up from my account only, so I cannot give you any insight.

#6 luvbug

luvbug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:59 AM

I keep my history,cookies, passwords etc cleared. I tried using a guest account and still the same thing happened. This happens on my computer and my daughters laptop.

A friend suggested I download Mozilla....I did.....now when I type in the site it says its timed out....to make sure my firewall and proxy will allow it on the web or something along those lines. I dont know how to get to the firewall or proxy to make sure Mozilla can get online.

Would a system restore work? I just looked on my daughters laptop and I didnt see a system restore.

Im at a loss.

Thanks for everyones help.

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:55 PM

have you been able to access the site in question on another machine? so you know it IS online ?are you able to let us try the link for you to see if it IS you or a fault with a site ?

what scans have you so far run on the computer? and what windows version are you running?

#8 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 06:07 PM

That was my first thought.. the page is no longer even online.

#9 luvbug

luvbug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 05:32 PM

I can not get on the site using my computer or my daughters laptop. Other people I know can get on the site. The only way I can get on the site is by using www.proxify.com......I want to be able to just type in the address and go to it like I did before.

I have AVG for viruses and Spybot Search and Destroy.....do you all recommend something else? I will try anything.

My computer is only 2 years old and came with XP....my daughters laptop is 98.

I scan for viruses and spyware every day just to be sure.

I really appreciate everyones help and suggestions.

#10 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 09:23 AM

I can not get on the site using my computer or my daughters laptop. Other people I know can get on the site. The only way I can get on the site is by using www.proxify.com......I want to be able to just type in the address and go to it like I did before.

I have AVG for viruses and Spybot Search and Destroy.....do you all recommend something else? I will try anything.

My computer is only 2 years old and came with XP....my daughters laptop is 98.

I scan for viruses and spyware every day just to be sure.

I really appreciate everyones help and suggestions.

sounds like you DO have a computer related/infection problem
follow the instructions on this Preparation guide http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

and then follow carefully the instructions from Step 9 to get a log on the right section of the forum for the Team to check out for you

ps; running each of that batch OF scans can take a few hours so be prepared to let the computer 'do its thing'

hope to see you soon IN the HJT log section :thumbsup:

just one question ; when the computer arrived did it have Norton preinstalled,and if so did you remove norton before you installed AVG?

are yours and your daughter's computers linked in any way ?

#11 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 02:44 AM

I still would not suggest a HJT log, as there is no information to suggest the OS is infected.

Is there any Proxy set or used?
Check to see if set to automatic:

In Firefox,
Go Tools/ Options/ Advanced/ click on the Network Tab, then click Settings.
Select the radio button that says Auto Detect Proxy Settings for all this Network
Click Okay

In Internet Explorer,
Go to Tools/ Internet Options/ click on the Connections tab, then click on LAN Settings.
Select Automatically Detect Settings
Click Okay twice.
Try the site again.

If no joy, could you share the sites URL? Then we can see if we can reach the site, to know if it's more than just localized to your machine.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#12 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 09:23 AM

how do both your computers that are affected connect to the internet?

can you kindly post the URL you are apparently unable to open for us to see if WE CAN on our independent machines

#13 luvbug

luvbug
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

I will try the above suggestions.

My and my daughters computers are on dial up......I hope my problem gets solved soon....its driving me nuts! lol

On the Internet Explorer suggestion.....the LAN settings said they do not apply to dial up connections.

#14 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,911 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 03 February 2008 - 07:00 PM

I will repeat a question that was asked before: What is the address of the website you wish to get to?

The only way I can get on the site is by using www.proxify.com

A thought occurs to me: Because you can't get to it directly but you can through a proxy site, this suggests that your IP address may be blocked or the IP address of your service provider is blocked. So, I have a further question: Do the people you say can reach the site have the same or a different service provider?

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#15 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2008 - 09:58 AM

Just to expand on Orange Blossom's post, your IP may be blocked by the website also. For instance, on bleeping computer, if we have members that are really being a pita, we will ban their IP. If they are using one IP, we can block just that single IP. If they are on dialup, then we end up having to block a range of IP addresses, and sometimes there is collateral damage Proxify lets you get around this because it hides your IP from the website. It is important to find out if others that use your same service provider are having problems also. It would be pretty unusual to have two computers on a single not able to connect to the same external website.

If you don't want to share the website, that's fine. I know people that attend virtual support groups, and would not want other people to know. Anyway, if your IP is being blocked, it wouldn't help for us to have the website anyway. :thumbsup: It just makes it a little harder for us to diagnose.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users