Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes Even In Bios

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 blackajack

blackajack

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:19 AM

Got a new 'puter a while ago which worked fine for a while but started freezing up after a while.. It can load windows and you can start up programs if you're fast but it freezes pretty soon after welcome screen. Software problems? Malware? So did I think too at first. But the weird thing is that it freezes even if you go to bios menu. I haven't clocked it but it seems that whatever you do with it, it freezes a set time after powering up. It boots up again if you disconnect it from the power strip for a while. And freezes promptly again. :thumbsup:

So, would anyone have any ideas what's the (most likely) culprit? Motherboard? Processor? Faulty memory?

Can't send the whole thing back since I built it myself and the store will receive only separate parts. Or should I just pester them to take the mboard/memory/processor back(they at least have spare parts for finding out what is faulty..)

Kingston 2048MB 750MHZ DDR2 DIMM CL4 NON
Tricod Longitude ATX-6057L-1 case
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB UltraATA
Connect3D Radeon X1600 Pro 512MB DDR II
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ boxed prosessori, 2.
LG GSA-H20LB 16x IDE DVD+/-RW Dual Layer
Asus M2N-E AM2 NF570 Ultra ATX - motherboard

I already tested another PSU, no effect at all(only spare part I could get my hands on, and could have been remotely plausible I think.)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:09 PM

if it freezes in bios and the settings are all the same from before then we know it's hardware failing?

First eliminate heat as the culprit, with the side off the case boot it up into bios and make sure all the fans are running properly

a dirty fan will also crash a marginal power supply

just because you checked with another power supply?? means little

that case comes with a 350 watt power supply

http://www.verkkokauppa.com/popups/prodinfo.php?id=6046

ATX-6057L-1 W/USB PORT; W/350W V2.03 P4 PSU PFC W/EXTRA FAN

way too weak for newer computers
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:14 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:52 PM

yes, if the case only has a 350w psu...which btw, most cases come with pretty shotty psu's anyways..then I totally agree with DaChew; you are way under what you should be running..on ANY kind of computer I build I try to stick with atleast a 500w psu...ATLEAST!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users