Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Slow Running (very)

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 cofe

cofe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 06:24 AM

I am running XP home and my ISP is AOL. When I go on line every thing is very slow even locking up for 2 or 3 minutes occasionally. My anti virus and anti spyware tell me I am clear. (run in safe mode as well)) The exception is AOL spyware which keeps finding and blocking Cutwail T. Soon after it has found and blocked it the virus is found again even if I am not on line. When I look for the files and registry entries to remove them they do not exist.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,574 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:42 AM

What anti-virus are you using? What other anti-spyware programs have your tried?

AOL does not have a very good track record with its anti-spyware protection which is installed as part of their bundled package. This Spyware Protection program is a licensed clone that is not notably effective in its scanning. They initially used a clone of Aluria Anti-Spyware SpywareEliminator. Aluria entered a partnership with WhenU, an internet advertising company, which was associated with pop-up advertisements and spyware. This partnership caused concern and numerous complaints so AOL switched to Pest Patrol.

SpyZapper works alongside AOL Spyware Protection to automatically target the most disruptive forms of spyware and other programs that may cause connection problems, performance issues, and security risks. The SpyZapper feature scans the computer and helps members decide whether they want to block the programs it identifies. Again, this feature is not notably effective.

Get another opinion by performing an Online Virus Scan like BitDefender.
(These require Internet Explorer to work. Watch the Address bar in IE. You may receive alerts that "This site might require the following ActiveX control...Click here to install...". Click on that alert and then Click Install ActiveX component. If given the option, choose "Quarantine" instead of delete.)

If your computer seems to be slow and your not finding malware with reputable anti-virus/anti-spyware programs, read Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware. There are reasons for slowness besides malware - i.e. disk fragmentation, disk errors, corrupt system files, too many startup programs, unnecessary services running, not enough RAM, dirty hardware components, etc. As your system gets older it becomes filled with more files/programs and has a natural tendency to slow down so cleaning and regular maintenance is essential.
Note: If you are not on a local area network (LAN), disable the Workstation Service which creates and maintains client network connections to remote servers and that should also help to speed up your boot time.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users