Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Another Slow Computer Problem.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 John in Oman

John in Oman

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:55 AM

I am having many problems of not only a sudden slow down of my computer but failure to connect with certain sites. The comp. does not need any defragmention nor disc cleaning.

The following message;
Network Error (TCP_Error)
A communication error occured.
The Web Server may be down or busy etc etc.
You may like to contact your network team (whoever they may be)!

I have no new bits of software running that could have mucked things up. But the two little blue comp screens on my desktop which are normally lit up are now frequently black. I presume this means that the internet connection (Omantel) is up the spout does it not? The connection speed by the way is 100.0Mbps which seems dogged slow to me for DSL.

Any comments/advice most welcome please.

Edited by boopme, 30 January 2008 - 11:43 AM.
{Moved to More Appropriate Forum~~Boopme}

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:57 AM

So it sounds like you are using DSL internet connection? Or are you using something like cable internet?
"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#3 John in Oman

John in Oman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:00 PM

Yes it's DSL. It was not too bad last night but going funny again now. Some times I go into a Forum and find that all the dates are missing. There is no notification, for example, on this Forum that you have replied to me! Maybe that helps?

Thanks anyway.

#4 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

It sounds like it could be something with your actual DSL modem. If it is showing that you are connected at 100 Mbps then there might be a problem with your service provider and their server. I know that sometimes if I am having trouble sending/receiving information (but it shows that I am connected) I will have the phone/cable company check the strength of my signal. Try doing this for now:

Go to Start--->Run--->and type "Command" and hit Enter.

Next type in "ipconfig." This will bring up information about your IP Address and your LAN.

Write your IP address down and then go back to the command promp and type: ping xxx.xxx.x.x (the x's being your IP address in whatever numerical order they appear, with the periods). Hit enter and then it will run a test to see if you can send and receive small packets of information from this IP address.

After finishing the test, type "exit" in at the command prompt to close the window.

Post the results back on here and I will take a look at them.

*Edit: Added to the directions.

Edited by Rittnasty, 31 January 2008 - 03:12 PM.

"And if it is evil in your eyes to serve the Lord, choose this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your fathers served in the region beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15 (ESV)

Thoughtvent.com

#5 Rittnasty

Rittnasty

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:09 PM

I noticed that you are in Oman (is that correct??). I just thought of this, but you wouldn't happen to know by chance if your service provider was affected by the internet cables that were cut in the Mediterranean Sea? Just curious because I know that that is causing outages and spotty connections in your region.

Thoughtvent.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users