Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer won't run

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nurse8970

nurse8970

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:44 PM

My compaq presario sounds like it is out of gas. I push the button to turn it on and it starts to power up, but then I hear a kind of "splash" and the green light stays on, but I don't think it goes through the full sequence of power. No beeps. The fans are running and the monitor lights up to green- then quickly turns to amber. The Cd rom door will open and close, but that about all I can get out of it.

This site has some awesome info, but I can't find anything that will cure my illness.

I checked the connections and tried a different plug in and got the same results. Cleaned out a few dust bunnies, but still no luck.

Thanks for any advice, before I take it in!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TexasAngel67

TexasAngel67

Bleeping Helper

• Members
  • 1,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:53 AM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:57 PM

Hi Nurse, let me suggest 2 things before you spend a dime (lots and lots of dimes).

1 - Check out Compaq's site. Review any FAQ's and Troubleshooting.

2 - Tell us how long you've owned it, when did it work properly the last time, and
what is the model number, Operating System (XP, ME, 98, 95), and what, if
anything is on the display (monitor)?

#3 nurse8970

nurse8970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 02:21 PM

I checked out hp/compaq and might try the restore disc.

I have had the computer for about 5 years. It ran fine 2 days ago. I get nothing on the screen. It is a 7360 model w/ window 98.

Thanks!

#4 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 06:49 PM

As you turn on your computer you should hear one beep from the speaker mounted inside your case. If it does not beep here is what could be wrong.
1. Motherboard has failed
2. Processor has failed
3. Memory has failed
4. Video has failed.

If you have any computer repair knowledge, try reseating the video card. If you have on-board video try borrowing a video card off of one of your friends. If this fails to repair it. Try changing your memory. If neither repair works , contemplate purchasing a different pc. That beep you should hear during bootup is called POST.
An acronymn for power on self test.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#5 nurse8970

nurse8970
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 08:20 AM

47-

Thanks for the info! I tried the restore disc, but go no different results. I'll give your suggestions a try. Much appreciated!

#6 hays47

hays47

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 March 2005 - 07:46 PM

Nurse : I looked up the specs on your computer. You have on board video and no AGP slot. Which means you are going to have to try and find a PCI video card somewhere. compaqs are infamous for their on board video and sound failing.

The best advice I can give you is to purchase a new computer. The processor you have in your compaq is an AMD K6-2. With its age and these strikes against it I would retire it.

Ensure that your next computer has a AGP video card. If your budget is limited try and find a used 1.5 to 2.0 GHZ AMD XP processor or Pentium IV processor based machine. Avoid the following brands E-Machine , Compaq , Gateway and any mini tower sized machine. My shop is always full of these for one malady or another.
I plan to live forever , so far , plan is working.

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 PM

Posted 08 March 2005 - 11:56 PM

I believe Hays47 is right . Spending money on this computer would not make much sense . But finding a use PCI video card at a used computer store or on ebay will let you get your data . If it's one of the other list compontants (memory , CPU , MoBo ) it is not worth it . Hang on to the old computer . With alittle coaching you can put the current hard drive in your new computer as a second hard drive and use the infomation .
I differ with Hays47 as far as a budget computer . I find a P-III pumped up to 512 ram and windows XP works fine for most things except gaming and video editing. I am on a Dell OptiPlex GX1 P-III 450 w/512 ram & XP Pro . Althought I would suggest XP Home for basic use . Window shop on Ebay or your local used computer shop . Just be careful of the shipping if you go this route .
Good luck on your choice .

acklan
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 The Trip

The Trip

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 11:32 AM

I think before you go out and buy a new comp, you should go and check to see if compaq will send you a BIOS Diskette. Try that out, and see if maybe your Bios failed for some reason or another.

#9 klink1956

klink1956

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 09 March 2005 - 07:42 PM

Has anybody given a thought to the mobo battery?
If it's the kind you can replace it's the cheapest route to take.
No "beeps" usually indicates no post.
No post is usually mobo related,or bios.
If it is posting and booting but still no display then vid card or monitor.

yes/no??
Bob
Where ever you go.................. There you are

#10 animeguy02

animeguy02

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 11:07 AM

I know this may be quite late, but I too have been dealing with the same problems. I have a custom-made system a friend and I built 4 or so years ago, with an AMD K6 II processor. I'll try to replace the mobo battery for a quick fix, but I've checked my processor, my memory, and my vid card, I also tried switching the CMOS jumpers...nothing has changed. The fans spin, the power is there, just no memory check, and no POST. And it was working yesterday. Any kind of help would be appreciated! Thanks!
Phil

#11 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 02:26 PM

With no POST, I would unplug all things not needed to see if the computer breathes. That means... all drives, and all cards except video. You can even power it up without video and memory to see if it will give you a beep code. Past that, reseat the processor. Most likely processor or motherboard if no lifesigns.

As far as repair... I agree with hays47 too.

If your not getting a POST, and it never tries to access the floppy, I don't think you will have a chance to try to flash the bios.

GL

Rigel

Edited by rigelslight, 17 March 2005 - 02:28 PM.

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#12 animeguy02

animeguy02

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 17 March 2005 - 03:47 PM

Yea, I thought my computer was running on borrowed time anyways. Intuitively, I did try running without memory this morning...what was strange is that after about running a minute of just silence, blank screen like usual, the memory beeps started. So it may not be totally dead yet. And, it's not the mobo battery either, it's replaced and no effect. I'll keep tinkering, but if this doesn't change in a day or so, I'll just break down and buy a P4 bare-bones machine, or something of the sort.
Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users