Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power Supply Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 quentin002

quentin002

• Banned
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:44 AM

I am having issues with my PC now, I think the culprit is my PSU so I need a replacement.

This is my system:
Videocard: Sapphire X1800XT 256MB
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Mainboard: Asus M2N-E AM2 nForce 570 Ultra
Memory: DDR2 800 2x512MB Corsair XMS2
Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS & Sennheiser HD 212 DJ
PSU: COOLMAX 500W +12V1 18A
Soon I will be adding another 2GB of the same memory.

I am thinking about getting these two PSU, please tell me what you think of them or if I can get a better deal:
Thermaltake PurePower 600W
RAIDMAX RX-700SS 700W

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

Either one is good. Others to look at are Sparkle and Seasonic
Power Supply Calculator
Mark
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#3 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:16 AM

Thats Junk. Get this one from newegg.com
I have about five of them on all my computers and I sell them to customers at my computer shop.
I also use them when I build computers for my clients.

Link:
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?...N82E16817182021

$31.99 at the time i posted this.

Its super quite you cant even hear it

#4 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:57 AM

You get what you pay for, if you go cheap, you get cheap. Thermaltake is a known good brand.
Don't skimp when it comes to power for your computer. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 10:44 AM

I am sold on PC Power and Cooling PSU's and won't use anything else in my personal systems: http://www.pcpower.com/index.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Lucky23

Lucky23

• Members
  • 304 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2008 - 01:20 PM

You get what you pay for, if you go cheap, you get cheap. Thermaltake is a known good brand.
Don't skimp when it comes to power for your computer. :thumbsup:

+1.

Pick a good power supply. The cooler master Pro series are really good and the higher end Thermaltake's
Centurion 5 Case~GA-P35-DS3L Rev2.0~E6550~EVGA 8800GS~3GB GSkill~Cooler Master 650 PRO~Seagate 320GB SATA II~ 2 ASUS 20X Burners~Sound Blaster Audigy SE~ZeroTherm CF900~Acer 22" P221W

#7 PoweredByGoogle

PoweredByGoogle

• Members
  • 192 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 02:48 AM

The one I posted is verry good. Maybe toughs who said you get what you pay for should buy one and see what your missing out on.

#8 Wildabeast

Wildabeast

Bleeping Lurker...

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 05:35 AM

The one I posted is verry good. Maybe toughs who said you get what you pay for should buy one and see what your missing out on.

:huh:

I'm not tough, and because I don't know the PSU you advised I would not call it "junk". But I do know a lot of people have bought "low priced, cheap," PSU's and regretted it because they did not have the power that was needed, or they went out too soon and took other parts of the computer with it.. :thumbsup:
"The nine most feared words in the english language, 'I'm from the government, and I'm here to help'..."
Ronald Reagan

#9 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 February 2008 - 09:25 AM

Comparing the Rosewill to the one's we mentioned is like comparing a Yugo to a heavy duty work van. That's not to say I'd never get one. I had an old Allied that I used for years until It got hit by lightning. If money's tight, you do what you can
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 06 February 2008 - 02:14 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#10 mnemonik23

mnemonik23

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 February 2008 - 02:36 PM

Did you try eXtreme Power Supply Calculator ?

#11 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 February 2008 - 12:43 PM

I personally have 2 Rosewill power supplies and I have use one other in an E-machine repair. They seem to work ok for me. My system specs are down in my Sig. Nothing fancy and I am using on board video. The above mentioned are great power supplies as well. I was short on money when I ordered mine and I am happy with my choice. I will say if I had the money and a larger system I would go with something a bit more expensive. YMMV

Edited by Sneakycyber, 10 February 2008 - 12:44 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users