Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm About To Dump Webroot Spy Sweeper...

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Bone Idol

Bone Idol

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:38 AM

What a shame. After reading through all their literature on how to configure the Firewall to allow Webroot Spy Sweeper to work - I'm dumping this crap into the trash bin.

It really annoys me when these turkeys come out with products that require the user to have a PhD in computer science in order to make these damn things work.

I had no problem with configuring Azureus to work through my ZoneAlarm Firewall, because they gave me the port numbers - but this Spy Sweeper configuration has completely defeated me.

The first thing Spy Sweeper did was to shutdown my email. Now I can't receive emails.

I read that as an anti-spyware program this one is right up there with the best. How many others like me are forced to dump this software because problems to do with firewalls and email attachment shields are just too bloody complicated?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:50 AM

Umm.. You don't have to be that smart to learn how to configure internet acces for apps with ZoneAlarm.
Because it usually just asks you...

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#3 Bone Idol

Bone Idol
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 393 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:19 AM

Thanks teenage zombiee - but ZA has asked me nothing. It should pop up a dialog asking if I want to allow Spy Sweeper access to the internet through a Firewall port.

I would then tick the option box 'YES'. Zone Alarm does have Spy Sweeper listed in its Trusted Zone - and I've ticked all the boxes green... but this made no difference.

Anyway - problem solved. I'm dumping this garbage. I'll just stick with Spybot.

#4 Teenage.Zombiee

Teenage.Zombiee

• Members
  • 831 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:49 AM

Fair enough :thumbsup:

I use Spyot too :flowers:

Teenage.Zombiee is back ! :halloween:

#5 Bone Idol

Bone Idol