Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Settings Don't Stay Set, Evil Gremlin Eats System Changes

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 jasonkidd05

jasonkidd05

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:08 AM

SOUNDS: Periodically, changes I make to the Windows Program Event Sounds quit working. Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices, show it is still set to my theme, but when I check each sound in the list, all the ones I changed from the Windows Standard show "None". This happens about 1X/mo so I've made a reference list to help me put them all back. In order for them to hold (at least for a while), I also have to rename the theme.

ICONS: Application icons revert to Windows ugly little standard instead of the nice little icons that most programs come with. The only way to get them back is to reinstall the application but even then they won't last long. After a while I will find only the Window's icons again.

FILE TYPES: I have a couple of word processors (besides Word) that I use regularly (instead of Word). Until recently, right-clicking on an .rtf file in Explorer would show them on the Open With drop down. A couple of weeks ago, they disappeared. Only Word and Wordpad were still available. I tried and tried to get them back on the menu but have only succeeded in restoring one of them by making it the default for .rtf files. I can't add the other word processor because the system will no longer let me. I can only replace the default. I also noticed that not only are the word processors missing from the "Recommended Programs" list, they are also missing from the "Other Programs" list -- along with 50% of the other programs that were once listed there. Choosing "Browse" does not work. Nothing happens when I locate the .exe file I'm looking for and click on it or choose "Open".

Originally I added both my word processors to the list myself with no difficulty so something has happened to the system since then. If it is a Windows Update, I would like to know which one, so I can remove it. The only recent changes I made was to install "Window's Defender". I have since uninstalled it on the off chance it might be the source my problem but I have no idea if it had anything to do with it. The sound problem existed long before "Windows Defender" and today, the system refused to recognize .ico as a file type and Windows Picture and Fax Viewer won't open the .ico files I downloaded this a.m. Looking at "File Types" showed the file association was gone.

It seems to me that Windows is fighting any changes I want to make. "YOU WILL USE ONLY WORD! YOU WILL USE ONLY THE ICON I CHOOSE FOR YOU! YOU MUST USE MICORSOFT SOUNDS OR NONE!"

Any suggestions? I have Windows XP SP2. AVG Anti-Virus runs every morning. AVG Anti-Rootkit runs every other day. Ad-Aware runs once a week.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users