Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sata Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 madman6510

madman6510

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:04 AM

I'm upgrading to XP Pro from Home, and I can't figure out what drivers I need. My computer is a Lenovo 3000 J115, and my HDD is a 250GB WD 2500JS. I'm at the driver download page for the drivers, and don't know if I need the SIIG Serial ATA Controller Card Driver or the WD Serial ATA RAID Controller Card Driver, or are none of those right? I'm really confused right now...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

is it xp pro 32 bit or xp pro 64 bit??...I have pro 32 bit, and i didn't have to do anything with drivers coming off of my xp home install..worked wonders..however it was a streamlined version of sp2 because xp with sp1 will only read hdd's up to 137gb ..so if you have ANY INFO ON YOU HD THAT YOU DONT WANT TO BE DELETED...DO NOT INSTALL XP WITH SP1!!!! this happened to me!!!! everything on my 320gb seagate went bye-bye!...so only install it if it is a streamlined sp2 version!!! if it is sp1..than make sure you have everything on your hdd backed up or if it's a fresh install because everything will be lost..even if you are using a previously partitioned drive!!!

Zac

#3 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:13 AM

The CD is 32bit SP2.

#4 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:16 AM

btw..as far as I know, if you just have a single hdd, then you don't need any type of raid controller....also, dachew or possibly usasma, i believe, informed me that the 64 bit pro's have had some driver troubles...

ok..if you have 32 bit, you should be all systems go for an install, but with ANY big software change as a new O/S is, backup your important files if it is NOT a fresh install...

Edited by PC GEEK, 30 January 2008 - 12:15 AM.

#5 madman6510

madman6510
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 384 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:17 AM

Ok, I'll try installing tomorrow and see if it works.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

If it's an upgrade - then you won't need the drivers (it'll get them from the previous installation). If you're starting over fresh, then you'll need the drivers (this is the recommended method).

You'll have to locate the drive controller (not the drive itself) in Device Manager to see what it is. Go to Start...Run...and type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter. Post back if you have difficulties with it (there's other ways to figure it out).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:01 PM

as far as I can tell you might need the chipset driver(nvidia) when loading the OS first

a quick check is just test with a bootable xp cd and see if it sees your hard drive, no big deal, just a test

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...ocid=MIGR-66103

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/MIGR-66153.html

ibm's site is a mess, procede at your own risk

saw a lot of bios updates?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:26 PM

after downloading and extracting the driver files, it looks like the sata uses ide emulation, I couldn't find a good floppy option

of course that figures since such a devise(floppy) is an endangered species

Edited by DaChew, 31 January 2008 - 12:27 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users