Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Isp Mime Sniffing?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Capt. Derrick J

Capt. Derrick J

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:41 PM

Can anyone tell me how I should configure the settings for my ISP email providers virus protection (MIME Type mode)? I know it is for detecting file ext's, but I do not know which ones to "allow" or "not allow" in the check box! There are about 100 boxes to check! Can anyone tell me at least the best ones to "not allow", I'm not fimiliar with the ext's that can be the most dangerous to get viruses from?

Thank You in Advance!
Capt. Derrick J.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:24 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 09:20 AM

Obviously any ".exe" files. But then you can get infections from just about any kind of file, even jpeg.s or Word doc.s if someone is malicious enough to send it to you.

A better approach, it seems to me, is to allow your resident real-time AV to catch malicious attachments, and even more importantly to be extremely cautious about E-mails that either have attachments or come from an unknown source or from a known source for no reason.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Capt. Derrick J

Capt. Derrick J
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

My email ISP has a "general" AV but I can also set a "custom" level. This is where it has over 100 boxes to check "allow' or "not allow". These are the emails that are received for my fishing charter business in which we are only internet based! I guess mu question is; should I set the (MIME Type mode:) to disable, allow or not allow, at present it is set to default "disable", custom AV settings will override the default settings. I just wanted to set it up the best way for my business & I know "custom" is probably better but I don't know which boxes to check or uncheck for the MIME type sniffing?

Thank You in Advance!
Capt. Derrick J.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users