Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stealing Cd Drive And Floppy Drive From Old Pc Help!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 eilujam

eilujam

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:05 PM

I recently bought an ACER PC because my HP PC HD died. My new PC came with 1 cd drive and no floppy... I would like to transfer them from the old dead PC. Would this be hard? What info do you need to help me? Please tell me where to find this info too! LOL I kinda know what I am doing and I can follow directions pretty well... Thanks!

Oh and usasma thanks for recommending this site!

eilujam

Eilujam

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:42 PM

Hello,

This is a fairly straight forward procedure, first and foremost does your new PC have the space for the drives? to find this out you will need to inspect the case to see if there are two spare bays.
Next you need to see if there are spare connection cables in the case that fit the interface of the drive, (make sure the system is off and take care not to alter anything)

Does the system have room?
Does the system have the connection cables?
Regards,

Alan.

#3 eilujam

eilujam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:58 PM

There is room in the case there is an empty cd bay and room for the floppy under the card reader.

Connection cables:
You are talking about from the power supply yes?

System have room? Don't know what you mean.

Eilujam

Posted Image

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 10:51 AM

The cables you will need should hopefully already be inside, look for a cable that resembles http://img.zdnet.com/techDirectory/_RIBCAB2.JPG
and a cable that resembles http://www.cablesdirect.com/prodimages/CC2121P_LR.jpg thefirst picture is that of a ribbon cable that will handle data transfer, the second picture is the power connector that the drive will need.

Have you removed the drives from the old system yet?
Regards,

Alan.

#5 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 11:23 AM

If you do have room for a second cdrom drive, make sure the cdrom from the old pc to is set to slave when you install it.

#6 eilujam

eilujam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 01:06 PM

OK this is starting to sound like I need someone who knows what they are doing to do it for me! LOL
I know what you mean by slave drive but I couldn't even imagine how to do it.
I have changed out my ps in my old system so I can do plugs but any farther than that I think I will get in TROUBLE! LOL

Anyone in Groton, CT wanna come help me out?

Eilujam

Posted Image

#7 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:33 PM

On the back of the CD/DVD and hard drives is a series of pins. [::::] There is a small piece of plastic, called a jumper, that goes over a pre-selected pair of pins. The diagram for the position is either stamped on the metal case or printed on a sticker. If you bite your fingernails and can't grip the jumper, you can use a pair of tweezers to pull it out if it needs changing. If you can change a power supply, you can do this. My only concern is the floppy drive. You'll notice the connector is slightly smaller. If your new machine didn't come with a floppy drive, there might be a chance that it does not have the connector for it on the motherboard. You will have to look and see
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 30 January 2008 - 02:34 PM.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#8 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 02:37 PM

Offer usasma a cookie and gas money :thumbsup:
Mark

Edited by garmanma, 30 January 2008 - 02:38 PM.

Mark
Posted Image

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits

#9 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 04:53 PM

OK this is starting to sound like I need someone who knows what they are doing to do it for me! LOL
I know what you mean by slave drive but I couldn't even imagine how to do it.
I have changed out my ps in my old system so I can do plugs but any farther than that I think I will get in TROUBLE! LOL

If this 60+ old bird could do it (and I did), you can do it! garmanma's instructions for changing to slave are spot on. Now when I did mine, bear in mind that I am a master of overkill. I drew diagrams of what plugged into what and all that before taking anything apart. I drew little arrows in my drawings to remind me to have the colored edge of the cable pointing the same way it was before I pulled anything apart. I "mapped" where the power plug goes before I unplugged the old one. If I'd had a digital camera at the time, I'd have taken pictures....from all sides. But I did it!!!! You think this is hard? Just wait 'til you have to change out a stubborn heat sink. LOL!

If you absolutely need a floppy drive and it won't work in your case, you can always look into buying an external floppy. They may even make external cases for the floppy you have. (I think I've seen those.) I don't think either are too expensive.

If you get frustrated or scared, just walk away for awhile. You'll do fine. :thumbsup:

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:37 PM

Illustrated guides at: http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/instselectedhw.htm

Louis

#11 eilujam

eilujam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 12:23 AM

That last link is a HUGE help!!! I will try doing this tomorrow and will let you all know how it goes.
Thanks again!

Eilujam

Posted Image

#12 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 08:44 AM

Illustrated guides at: http://www.buildeasypc.com/hw/howto/instselectedhw.htm

Louis

Thanks for the link, Louis.. One of the better ones
Mark
Mark
Posted Image

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,839 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:05 AM

Easily done...I've added it to my Computer Help folder of links :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users