Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Help Please! Computer Posts With 3gb Of Ram In But Not 4gb!

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 PC GEEK

PC GEEK

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 09:00 PM

Pretty self explanatory...I ordered 2 x 1 gb of the same patriot ram that i have installed now so that I would have a total of 4gb..my specs are in my sig..i have windows xp 32bit professional corporate ed. I just got my ram today, but when i turn my comp on, it just goes to a screen that says what my video card is...top left it says X1950XT PCIE...and that's it..it won't go to the mobo splash screen to access bios or boot xp it just sits there..i've tried it with just 3 gb of ram ( 1 of the new sticks ) and it does boot, and i have tried each of the ram individually like that so i know neither of the new ram are bad! So basically am I stuck using only 3 gb of RAM then?...

If dachew or usasma could comment or help that'd be great since they replied to my posting before i orded this ram!!..thanks a bunch you guys...if i'm stuck with just 3 gb total that's ok..i only pd. 40 bucks the ram and i'll try and sell the other stick to one of my friends for 30 bucks or something..i just wanna make sure it's not something i'm doing wrong before i freak any more!! thanks amigos!

Zac

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,071 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:26 PM

Some of the nVidia chipsets had issues with 4 gB of RAM - but there were fixes posted for it on different forums. Enter your model number at this link to see some of the BIOS updates: http://support.asus.com/download/download....SLanguage=en-us Quite a few of them refer to memory compatibility issues. (If you update the BIOS, it's suggested that you only do 2 or 3 steps at a time - jumping from a very old to a very new version has been known to cause problems if the jump is too great).

But most of the problems that I've seen are in the 680i chipset and mostly with Gigabyte mobo's (although there are some Asus boards reported: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/sh...1579#post231579 )

Problems are primarily:
- bad RAM
- bad Chipset (?BIOS flash)
- poor power supply
- changing memory settings

So, I'd start with running MemTest on all sticks in all slots (free from here: http://www.memtest86.com/ ) If anything comes out bad, post back and we'll start from there.

If all tests are good, then you'd have to move on to
1) Verifying that the PSU is pushing enough power to power the RAM
2) Maybe a BIOS flash to help things out (that's dangerous)
3) Messing with the memory timings and voltage (outta my league, maybe DaChew can help with that)

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )
**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)
FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.

If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.
If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:34 PM

i know there's a bios update available, but i have no floppy :-| go figure......

just got done running memtest on the first stick by itself for about 45 minutes (didn't totally finish it though), no errors..i might pull that out and try the other now.....

i tried timings at auto and at what the sticks are rated at 4-4-4-12 command clock of 2 and no go on either of them with all 4 inserted

i have a 500watt PSU and i've had no problems, even with my x1950xt ati GPU, but i guess maybe bios needs to push more voltage to the ram? beats me..i've never messed with voltage....don't even know what setting it is in bios for ram voltage

thank you very much though for your help so far..i'll keep tinkering, worst case scenario is i have an extra stick to keep or sell since they both work as far as i know..but i'll go memtest the other one now..i'll check back again in a bit!!

oh BTW, the only thing i could find on google was someone talking about a 3gb/PAE switch in the boot.ini file that could cause the problem..i have no clue what either of those two things are however!....any ideas on that folks?

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,071 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

Here's an article about the PAE switch - but look at the systems that it applies to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988

**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message.

My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)

#5 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 10:57 PM

Here's an article about the PAE switch - but look at the systems that it applies to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291988

yeah pretty sure that's not me...says at the bottom that it applies to xp pro...but in reading the text it says that you should only need to mess with it if you are running one of those four server options that are bulleted at the beginning of the text..thanks usasms for clearing that up...oh and just thought you'd like to know, off topic of course, my dad was a Marine and my grandpa was in the military during 'Nam...thank you for serving this great country we call the USA.. :-)

#6 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2008 - 12:58 AM

also do i need to set anything to dual channel? could that be causing the problem??

#7 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:56 AM

problem solved! knew it wasn't an OS problem..and it wasn't...just needed a good ol bios update! Thanks to all...

Edited by PC GEEK, 31 January 2008 - 02:57 AM.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:22 AM

that's rather scary, asus says that board supports 4 2 gig sticks, I wonder if it was related to the sticks being cas 4/800 and that was pushing it over the edge when 4 sticks were used

I wouldn't expect this from asus of all people

now be careful with the bios, especially the auto overclock

use cpu-z to verify that each stick has the same spd ratings(cas level/timings/spec's)

also set your ram voltage slightly higher if needed to match the ram's specifications, extreme or fast ram usually needs higher voltage

the big problem here is auto settings rarely work even with mature bios's and a good company like asus

I suspect this was half the problem, the new bios just made it more stable, but not necessarily right

One of the first things I do with a motherboard is look for bios updates.

Keeep a close eye on the voltage rails of that raidmax, I don't trust them at all?

Edited by DaChew, 31 January 2008 - 04:24 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#9 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 04:43 AM

yeah, i have ram timings and voltage set manually..before and after bios update, but cpu-z looks funny...i'll post some screen shots cuz slots 1 and 3 line up (same color on mobo but it's slot 1 and 3) and slots 2 and 4 line up with same info (same color on mobo as well)

ooooh and i just noticed as i was taking screen shots that it magically set itself to dual channel!? wtf??...it always used to be single before but who knows...let me know on that one...

i also threw in my overall specs

here it is
Attached File  ram_timings.JPG   222.55KB   10 downloads

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,071 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 09:06 AM

Hi DaChew! Thanks for the information about the memory!
I'll be lurking on this thread to learn more.

#11 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

Hey John,
This stuff is more "black magic" than science from what I can see. Bios updates look like a necessity when running premium ram on early revision motherboards.

pc geek everything looks fine with cpu-z, slots 1 and 3 are for matched sticks, your original ram should have been in A1 and B1(1 and 3)

with new sticks in A2 and B2(2 and 4)

which menory voltage did you pick, the 2.178 or the 2.259?

plug and pray? russian roulette?

from what I read you had the original sticks in single channel mode(1 and 2), if you added the new ones to 3 and 4 that would cause a problem since the bios then has to match up different weeks of manufacture?

who knows?

Edited by DaChew, 31 January 2008 - 11:44 AM.

Chewy

#12 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:43 PM

yeah originally i had the sticks in channels 1 and 2 because i was getting blue screen errors and i thought it was ram, but it ended up being something else but i just never bothered changing them back to dual once i fixed it....

I went with the 2.25v in bios--seems to be working fine

Yeah i just was making sure about the cpu-z thing..because you can notice how the timings tables differ from 1/3 and 2/4, but they must all be running fine...i actually left my original 2 sticks in slots 1/2 and put the new in 3/4, so it just me the way the board is set up to run ram..since there should be no notable differnce, you would think, between the timing tables..but hey it works and that's all i car about!..at least i know they are running at 4-4-4-12 2T 2.25V instead of auto'ing it....

Just glad that i don't buy expensive ram...otherwise if something happened i would be PO'd lol....just some good 'ol patriot ram ...works wonders i tell ya! like 33 bucks you can get yourself 2gb!...and now i can pretty much play any game that I want....

Give me a sec here and i'm going to either post again or edit this and upload my screen shot of msinfo32..cuz i'm not sure where i'm supposed to look to see what windows is reading for my ram size....

Thanks again all!

Attached File  untitled.JPG   58.25KB   14 downloads

#13 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 01:54 PM

look at it with task manager and right click on my computer/properties

should show ~3.25 physical ram on 32 bit xp

you might want to reduce that swap file size, do you have hibernate turned off?

your latency should be in the low 50's with that ram, reads and writes should be great

cas 4 800 ram is fast, but your cheaper chipsets probably won't stand any overclocking, if you were to try to push the fsb way up, which shortens the long intel pipeline, and hold the membus to specs by changing the divider, you would probably crash at a lower overclock since the non-micron chipsets can't keep up with the faster core duo's or amd64's
Chewy

#14 PC GEEK

PC GEEK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 02:26 PM

oh yup..my computer properties states 3.5gb

could you explain how to change swap file size and turn hibernate off?...don't think i've had to do it before..

do you use the latency thing in cpu-z to check the ram latency's?...sounds like it lol but idk...

..oh and yeah i really don't plan on oc'ing anything anytime soon....not until it starts gettin outdated...i know where to come if i do though!

EDIT: found hibernation..it's NOT on

Edited by PC GEEK, 31 January 2008 - 02:33 PM.

#15 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2008 - 03:12 PM

swap file settings

system properties/advanced/performance settings/advanced/virtual memory

I wouldn't turn it off tho, some get away with that but it's not reccomended

if you almost always have a gig or 2 of free ram(test) then a 1 gig minimum swap file would be plenty

no point in windows setting a higher minimum, yours said 2 gigs

with a quad core, and using a bunch of adobe apps and playing a game then let it alone

everest has a good latency bench

mine is 46ns

back to the patriot, some older sticks came with micron d9 chipsets(the best) newer ones a cheaper type, that's why it's better to exactly match the sticks in dual channel

Edited by DaChew, 31 January 2008 - 03:25 PM.

Chewy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users