Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unfathomable Error

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 playsguitaralot83

playsguitaralot83

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:01 PM

OK. So my computers been running fine for a long time, until just recently. I haven't made many changes at all to the machine that could have caused the problem, I've rolled-back to try and stop it, but nothing seems to work.

I started it up yesterday and it went into chkdsk. Once chkdsk started it gets to stage 2 and hangs on an error thats something like " something-something $0 in file 25". I waited for about 30 minutes and restarted the machine to try something else.

This time I skipped the chkdsk, to see what happens. It starts like normal until windows starts to load and then EVERYTHING ( I MEAN EVERYTHING ) comes up with a corrupt file error, BUT (get this) loads like normal anyway, as if nothing where wrong at all. isass.exe, startup.exe, all the apps that load regularaly on startup, including my antivirus and other start up programs do the same thing (report an error, but function fine beyond that). Besides the errors and the chkdsk that starts everytime, I wouldn'tbe able to tell there was a problem at all (which I'm sure, knowing how a snake in the grass can be, there still is some kind of underlying problem, it just doesn't make itself known beyond the aforementioned errors)

Whats more, when I click on an app after the machine starts it errors also, but functions fine still too. Just like all of the startup programs.

So I started the machine in recovery mode and ran chkdsk through the repair console (with the /r switch). It still hangs everytime I try to run it.

So...after exhausting everything that I can think of to get this machine to run right again, I've come to you guys. Can anyone, anyone at all steer me in the right direction.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

Did you mean lsass.exe or isass.exe? If it's the latter, then I'd suspect a virus.

Have you tried a diagnostic from the website of the manufacturer of your hard drive? That will let you know if there are any issues with the hard drive that would cause chkdsk to hang.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users