Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Disable A Core On An Amd Athlon X2?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Martinx

Martinx

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:16 PM

Hey guys i need to know how can i disable one core on AMD Athlon X2.Since i have no expirience and have no idea what a processor does i might like do something wrong in the process so i will need help.I need to disable one core because my computer is somehow "too good" for a game i want to play.When i go to Control Panel>>System>>Hardware>>Device Manager>>Processors and i click the "AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3600+" thingy i go to driver and i only see Uninstall....does anyone know how can i just disable the core and not uninstall it?And how can i ...un-disable it or something?And i need to know if i am at the wrong place....see "Control Panel>>System>>Hardware>>Device Manager>>Processors".

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:42 PM

have you tried running the game in compatibility mode?

or setting a lower priority with task manager?

older games and applications are usually single threaded and only use one core anyway

Edited by DaChew, 29 January 2008 - 04:43 PM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Martinx

Martinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:47 PM

have you tried running the game in compatibility mode?

or setting a lower priority with task manager?

older games and applications are usually single threaded and only use one core anyway

Complatibility mode?I don't know how to do that....how do i do that lower priority thing?

I still don't have the game....i'm gonna buy it....still don't know when though.

#4 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:17 PM

Then how do you know the game won't work? It might mean that it only uses one core, but that shouldn't mean you have to disable the other core.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:24 PM

I still don't have the game....i'm gonna buy it....still don't know when though.

Why don't you think your dual core processor, is compatible with the game?
Is this an old game?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 Martinx

Martinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:30 PM

I'm confused....i don't know what "compatible" means...sry...the game is Postal 2:Share The Pain,and it was released in 2003...not very old it worked fine on my old computer now i got a new one...

#7 Martinx

Martinx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:33 PM

Then how do you know the game won't work? It might mean that it only uses one core, but that shouldn't mean you have to disable the other core.

I buyed the game 2 times and i lost my cd's.The game works but when i walk normally instead of walking i like have superseed or something...thats why i need to disable one core....i emailed the CEO of the company and that's what he said.I said "Ok so i have 2 AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processors 3600+
but it says Uninstall not disable...so how do i disable the core?" and he said "K hmmm I have no idea, try lookin up on google “disabling a core on an AMD athlon X2”" but i couldn't find anything on google so i decided to come here....i think i'm gonna order the game from the USA and because i'm from Europe it may take a while to ship.

#8 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

one look at their web site was enough for me, try using the right click option when you start the game or even install it

properties leads to a compatibility tab

a little effort on your part and you should be able to get it to play right, xp is a wonderful OS?

that game is very amateurish

the ceo reflects the company unfortunately
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users