Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re: The Preparation Guide Sticky

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 EliteKiller

EliteKiller

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:57 PM

Are there any plans to update the outdated Preparation Guide?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,388 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

Yes, there are. Just out of curiosity, what do you find outdated in it?

#3 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 03:56 PM

Hi; just to point out a few blips I have seen :thumbsup:

you may need to reconsider the link TO and advise for using Adaware as the 2007 version is inappropriate for some windows versions

the link to spybot does not go to a download link

Panda antivirus link does not seem to open

link to Stinger needs to be more specific for the EXE of the program :flowers:

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 PM

Posted 30 January 2008 - 05:38 PM

My two cents worth:

I would like to see SUPERAntiSpyware added to the cleaning tools section in the guide. It is a very good anti-spyware program. I would even suggest replacing AdAware 2007 with SUPERAntiSpyware in the guide. According to quietman7, AdAware 2007 is no longer recommended.

Updating the firewall choices might be a good idea too. It is my understanding that the free version of Sygate is no longer supported since it was bought by another company. Perhaps replace Sygate with Sunbelt Personal firewall free version (formerly Kerio)? Comodo firewall would be another good option to add there.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users