Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing Up To External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 missmuffit47

missmuffit47

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 01:42 PM

Hi all

I have bought an external hard drive Seagate 250 GB, I have backed up my hard drive to it and made a rescue disk. I also have a trial version of Acronis, my question is do I need Acronis? as the software that was supplied with the Seagate hard drive backed up my drive with no other software involved.

This maybe a stupid question but this is the first time I have done this, I learned the hard way when I had to reinstall all my programmers and software after a PC crash.

Any help gratefully received.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:03 PM

The Seagate externals come with their own backup software (I saw one of these 2 weeks ago), so there's no real reason to use another program...if you are satisfied with the backups produced by the Seagate software.

I suggest that you become very familiar with what it does, how it does it...and what it won't do that you might like it to do.

Then you can make a decision that is intelligent.

You know (or maybe you don't)...XP comes with a backup program but many of us choose not to use it. Not because it doesn't do the job, but because of the way that we want the job done or options which are not part of the NTBackup program.

Louis

#3 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:07 PM

Did you backup your harddrive, or did you image it?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#4 missmuffit47

missmuffit47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 02:45 PM

hamluis
Thanks, no I did not know that XP has backup program (maybe could have saved some money lol)
I do intend to become familar with the software, I dont want a repeat of the last PC problems, I have now learned a lesson.

tg1911
I backed up my drive, what is the difference between that and imaging?

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:03 PM

http://www.cmsproducts.com/press_details.asp?ArticleID=62

Is this what came with your drive?

FYI: http://disk-imaging-software-review.topten...ht-for-you.html

Louis

#6 missmuffit47

missmuffit47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 03:50 PM

Oh dear

Looks like I bought wrong product. No hamluis....I just looked ot product info and cannot see any mention of Bounce back, and I looked at the article you sent and looks like I only got something to backup my files NOT hard drive as I wanted.

I have acronis is it possible to copy hard drive via that software or has this just been a waste of money ?
The model I bought is ST302504FDA1e1-RK. I might be able to return Seagate to Maplins?
If you have any suggetions I may have to get back here tomorrow (babysitting)
Thanks

#7 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 04:02 PM

If you've got Acronis True Image, you can use that to image your drive, and backup your personal files.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users