Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WHEN ASKING FOR HELP!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:23 AM

Can I just mention a small matter of courtesy that is rather annoying??

Every now and then I follow the thread of correspondence between The BC Team and people who are asking for FREE PROFESSIONAL HELP!!!!!

I can,t help but be amazed at just how ignorant, impolite and down right rude some people are!!!! :thumbsup:

Equally I cant help be equally amazed at the patience of the BC team in their reserve at not telling some people to "Sling Their Hook".......... :flowers:

If you come here looking for help and want to "Demand" things, then Pay Up or Shut up and "Sling Your Hook Mate" :trumpet:

Frankly if I was being paid to help some of these people I would still invite them to do a Lateral Arabesque.

OK I feel better now THANK YOU!!!!

:inlove:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:30 AM

It's true, sometimes a persons impatience gets the better of them.

Everyone must try and have a little patience when waiting for help.

Especially when waiting for a reply on thier Highjack This Log. Our wonderful HighjackThis Team are volunteers. They always do the best they can. As soon as they can. :flowers:

Sling Their Hook"..........
I do not know what this means. You may be getting away with something. :trumpet:

With the use of this colorful British euphemism. :inlove:

Please do not enlighten me with a description if it may be offensive in any way. :thumbsup:

Edited by scarlett, 07 March 2005 - 10:52 AM.

Posted Image

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 09:40 AM

SaxonManFinland: "Sling your hook, mate!". Never heard that expression, very cool. And you are correct; as my Mom used to say "there's just no pleasing some folks". Amazing bunch of good people here at BC, accepting strangers like they were family and helping all who ask for it.
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:48 AM

I agree and have saw this many times. Once bad case the other day and I said something.

We don't move at light speed and we all get here to help out at different times. Some just keep refreshing a page thinking its like a online auction page and there going to get instant replies as soon as they hit refresh.

If they don't they will post the same topic all over the board in the wrong categories.

If that does not work they will keep posting help every 5 minutes until they have about 5 posts.

Thats one case I saw.

As for reading HJT logs it can take anywhere from 30mins -1hour+ to finish one. But even if you are a little grimy and want stuff now we will be glad to help you out here at BC!

#5 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 10:54 AM

"Sling Your Hook" ?????

It is just an Old fashioned way of Telling Someone to Go Elsewhere. Similiar to Push Off, Take a Hike, Close the Door on You Way Out, or Dont Let me detain You!!!

NOT A TERM of Endowment by any means but certainly not Crude or even mildly swearing.

Just means "Take You Body Somewhere Else"...........

ME SWEAR???? I should Bloody CoCo!!! lol :thumbsup:

#6 Scarlett

Scarlett

Bleeping Diva

• Members
  • 7,479 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:07 AM

:flowers: :trumpet: OMG you are sooo funny SaxonMan. Thanks for clarifying it for me. I love learning new words and phrases.

Now for bloody CoCo?????

If you find me to be tiresome at this point. Please feel free to tell me to sling my hook. :thumbsup: :inlove:
Posted Image

#7 SaxonManFinland

SaxonManFinland
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2005 - 11:34 AM

:flowers: :trumpet: :inlove:

Laughing Here!!

Of course "I should Bloody Co Co" is mildly sweraing i.e if I said Bloody as a kid I got a swift clip around the ears to remind me NOT to say bloody. But its all in how you use it.

I should Bloody CoCo.Just means I should think not, or even stronger, like "No Chance" but with a sense of humour or Humor for the Cousins accros the Pond.

It means Not on my Cocoa, which is a Bedtime Chocolate Drink.dont ask me how it got Convuluted, the English version of the English Language is rather difficult to understand, like rappers inventing words to make them cool and fit their gibberish poetry really

:thumbsup:

#8 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 PM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 03:27 PM

I have wanted to say the same thing for some time. You guys have taught me tons about "customer service" skills. Sometimes I don't see how BC folks can tolerate the language/impatience... but then I realize the quality of person that is answering. BC has class.

The other night, we had another website to post a link to their "fix-it" page. That bothered me... I feel an ownership here. (FYI - Grinler booted them! YES!) I think most feel the same thing if you hang around enough. Pretty cool huh?

Good job BC.

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#9 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 07 March 2005 - 04:08 PM

It is free help.

It often takes a while to consider "all the angles" of general questions.
In the absence of important details like OS version, update status, and other variables.

Considering HJT logs it takes even longer.
Often the problem is new to thw world at large, for instance.
Each log may list 100 entries, unique to the particular PC that is involved.

Add to that the case(s) of HJT trainees (like myself) who will do the required study/search.
Then post it for review,
and as a result, yet another person(s) will view the findings
and comment/correct/suggest to the best of their ability, also.
Then the original work may/may not be further modified before
it can be posted for the member to view, study & implement properly.
Generally, but not always, the first reply is not going to be the entire procedure.
As time goes by, the work of the malware writers becomes more sophisticated, too.

Truly, the work done daily regarding novice computer operators & the problems they have, in addition to those of more intermediate users, and their problems as well ...
demands patience.

It does not change from day to day.
It does not exist as a possiblity or option, really.
Patience (and understanding of the need for courtesy, too) should always be exercised.

For the most part, the problems that exist are annoying, but not life threatening.
Attention to them by volunteers throughout the site in excellent, caring posts, is evidenced in a great abundance here.

Such a wide variety of circumstances involving such a diverse mix of nationalities
and cultures is what makes this community grow & prosper.
Mention of appropriate decorem now n' then
certainly is appreciated.

There, now I feel better. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users