Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preparing To Shut Down Locks Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tdta

tdta

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:36 AM

Hi,

We have a problem with our HP which has Windows XP. If the computer is not used for three minutes or less, the desktop turns blue and a message appears that says "preparing to Shut Down. However no matter how long we wait the computer does nor shut down it just locks up. Control alt del will not get it to unfreeze. We have to push the power button and hold until the whole system shuts down and then wait a few seconds and turn the power on again.

Anyone know how we can fix this problem? Sure would appreciate it. Thanks. TDTA

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 11:41 AM

Have you checked the Power settings?

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/s.../powermgmt.mspx

Louis

#3 tdta

tdta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:36 PM

No but i will go to the link you provided and see what i find. Thanks. TDTA

#4 tdta

tdta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2008 - 05:42 PM

I checked the power settings and they all seem to be okay. What I can not figure out is why the computer freezes instead og going into hibernation. It just freezes up with the blue screen saing preparing to stand by but then I have no control over the computer unless I completely power down and restart. never had this problem before. Started about three months ago or so. TDTA

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:13 PM

Windows XP Shutdown Troubleshooting: http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

I don't use hibernation...but I think I would delete the hiberil.sys file or just turn off hibernation...then turn it back on to set it up anew (create a new hiberfil.sys file.

My thinking would be that file corruption has occurred and removing the file would generate a new one.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/tips/hiberfil-sys-xp.html

Louis

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 29 January 2008 - 07:48 PM

Hiberfil.sys will become corrupt over time - and you'll usually get a message about this when it happens. Deleting the hiberfil.sys file will accomplish the same thing - the next time you hibernate it'll be recreated.

FWIW - most of the problems seen with hibernation/standby can be fixed by uninstalling your video drivers and then reinstalling a freshly downloaded copy of the latest certified driver available from the video chipset manufacturer's website (ATI, nVidia, Intel, etc)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users